Page 1 of 1

#1 Continuous Fan

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:53 pm
by Bernie2015
Just taken delivery of a Series 3 and both radiator fans run continuously as soon as the ignition is turned on even before the engine starts. Is this normal?
I've never owned a Series 3 before and it doesn't happen on my Series 1. Any advice from Series 3 owners much appreciated.

#2 Re: Continuous Fan

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm
by ManniB
Hi Bernie,

not normal. PO has either bridged the otter switch (or OS is bad) or the AC radiator fan relay is continously on which again bridges the otter switch, makes the radiator fan relay which then runs the fans.

- Manfred

#3 Re: Continuous Fan

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 pm
by Bernie2015
Thank you Manfred I will look into it now I know its not normal - much appreciated

#4 Re: Continuous Fan

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm
by Woly64
Also check that a previous owner did not fit a manual override switch somewhere in the cabin as I have seen this done on many a Series 3

#5 Re: Continuous Fan

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:51 am
by lowact
The Otter Switch is in the bottom hose from the radiator to the water pump.
Image
In this location it senses the temperature of the water from the radiator, if it is too hot it turns on the fan. Per Manfred, if this switch has failed the PO (previous owner) may have bypassed it, e.g. by connecting the two switch wires together. This would cause the radiator fans to run continuously, whenever the ignition is on.

#6 Re: Continuous Fan

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:34 am
by Bernie2015
Thats realy helpful thanks I will locate the switch