Page 1 of 1

#1 Distributor Vacuum Pipe

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:21 pm
by Leekade
I’ve found a rubber pipe running off the vacuum unit (attached to the distributor) which is about 12 inches long but has a ball bearing blocking the pipe very near to the vacuum unit (I presume the suction pulls the ball to effectively block the pipe at the end nearest the vacuum unit). This seems a strange way to simply block the unit and I cannot find any diagrams to check this.

Is this normal for V12 engines (without EFI)?

Thanks

Adrian

#2 Re: Distributor Vacuum Pipe

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am
by Whitact
This sounds like a previous owner's solution to disabling the vacuum retard, which is a common modification. It results in a slightly longer warm up but improved part throttle performance. An even better solution is to change the vacuum module to an advance type which has been widely discussed in other posts.
Cheers

#3 Re: Distributor Vacuum Pipe

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 am
by Leekade
Thanks, Adrian, everyday is currently a learning experience as we encounter little idiosyncrasies. I'll check other threads.

Cheers

Adrian