Series 3 air vent controls

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
BobV12
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 air vent controls

Post by BobV12 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello new to this forum, started dismantling my fern grey OTS a month ago, full refit needed. So far it’s gone well, engine and box out, seats and interior, instruments. Hoping someone can help on something I am stuck on-the bright silver round air vent controls. I cannot see how they are removed from the dash and the manual makes no reference- can anyone provide an answer?

Thanks in advance! :bigrin:
Bob
1973 E Type OTS V12
Lotus Esprit V8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 3 air vent controls

Post by Bob. » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Bob,
Welcome to the forum.
You don't say what year your car is but there were two different systems, early type - both controls cable operated, later type one cable and one shaft operated. In neither case does the knob appear to be removable in isolation but ROManual section 80 10 31 and 80 10 36 describe the method of removal of the assemblies. The Parts Manual section 27 30 and 27 31 show both systems, which should help. If the cables don't unscrew as described ISTR that there is a thin hex under the knobs which with a very thin spanner may help removal. (Documents are in the forum knowledge base).
Let us know how you get on and post some pictures if you can.
Bob

Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
BobV12
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 3 air vent controls

Post by BobV12 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks Bob, on the near side (the car is 1973 and original UK supplied) I was able to remove the tiny split pin that locates the cable inner to the vent. And then with a pair of pliers I rotated the barrel shaped nipple on the inner cable clockwise which loosened the hex fitting you refer to which now simply unscrewed out of the dash. It is not a separate hex nut as one might think but one male fitting and a female thread is built into the dash panel. The cable unit with the silver wheel one end and the barrel shaped nipple (with the split pin hole) the other is now one component which seemingly doesn’t dismantle further, not that I can see a reason to anyway. My goal is to fully dismantle the car in advance of body repairs, panel gaps improvement and a colour changing bare metal repaint.

The off side is harder as it adjusts an air flap inside the skuttle (yet to be fully understood) and I understand from the manual that the steering column has to come out first. My next step!

Bob
1973 E Type OTS V12
Lotus Esprit V8

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#4 Re: Series 3 air vent controls

Post by angelw » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Bob Wrote:
The off side is harder as it adjusts an air flap inside the skuttle (yet to be fully understood) and I understand from the manual that the steering column has to come out first. My next step!
Hello Bob,
The Steering Column doesn't have to come out to remove the Off Side control, but if you're fully stripping the car, it won't hurt. The cable is attached to the mechanism just below the windscreen wiper hardware via a small, horseshoe shaped nylon clip. I use a short length of 1mm welding wire with a small, tight hook formed at one end to engage with the loop of the clip to start to withdraw it. Once sufficient of the loop it exposed, I use long, pointy nose pliers to fully extract the clip.

Take precaution against loosing the part by laying a soft, paper towel below on the area below where the clip is, in case you drop it. I've not been able to find a source of a replacement and have to 3D print one in the event that its missing, or lost.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

EmmuWisl
Great Britain

#5 Re: Series 3 air vent controls

Post by EmmuWisl » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:28 pm

Indeed, if the cables don't unscrew as described ISTR that there is a thin hex under the knobs, which with a very thin spanner may help removal. So your bright silver round air vent controls are easy to remove from the dash. But it might sound a bit tricky for beginners, so you can just use aircon services, such as ac repair tampa. The professional touch is never meant for harm. By the way, series 3 is a pretty well-built model. I've never had any problems with my air conditioning system, so why do you state "Series 3 is known for its aircon problems"?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic