Page 1 of 1

#1 Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 pm
by JoeLondon
Has anyone disassembled the brake resevoir sender and replaced the cork? I couldn't find it with the search.

I assume the cork has become saturated, as it no longer floats. I had the thought to replace it with one of the plastic corks from a wine bottle, but wanted to ask if taking the aluminium tube off the cap is straight forward, before I ham fist it. - Trying to save £30 ...with the bills this car racks up, hilarious.

#2 Re: Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:06 am
by lowact

#3 Re: Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:22 am
by JoeLondon
Brilliant! As easy as that. Normally I would have just had a go, I don't know what it is about this car that still has me a little apprehensive on things.

Thank you Colin!!

#4 Re: Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm
by JoeLondon
Perfect - all sorted - I found a plastic cork at a wine merchants, the idea being that it doesn't fail like the natural cork, of course, this is where I find out that the material reacts to brake fluid and breaks up into tiny pieces :D

Another job jobbed.

#5 Re: Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 pm
by Adamski
Done it many times with wine corks, After a while they saturate, I note that latest replacements use a metal float. Might try plastic next. Good idea to take pins out on top and clean manky contacts.The screw bit tends to rot eventually

#6 Re: Brake Resevoir Sender

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:06 am
by PierreW
Adamski wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:12 pm
Done it many times with wine corks, After a while they saturate, I note that latest replacements use a metal float. Might try plastic next. Good idea to take pins out on top and clean manky contacts.The screw bit tends to rot eventually
I have done the float myself out of copper sheet for my E and MK2 , no problem since
Image