Sieve in oil suction pipe // thread oil sump

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#1 Sieve in oil suction pipe // thread oil sump

Post by Mephistopheles » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Today I wanted to do an oil change before the winter break. I noticed that the oil drain plug was only loose in the oil sump: I'm surprised that I didn't lose oil there! After draining the oil I had to find out that the thread of the oil sump is messed up: there is a helicoil like wire spiral in it, one turn of the spiral protrudes from the thread and is widened, moreover the spiral is too short, about half as long as the thread. I also found aluminium chips in the thread.
Is there a danger that the oil pump has sucked in possible aluminium chips or is there a sieve in the oil suction pipe?
If possible I do not want to remove the oil pan, but only repair the thread with a thread repair kit Helicoil 5/8-18 UNF.
Any expert advice on this?
Best regards
Holger
1973 manual LHD OTS E Type
Holger

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Sieve in oil suction pipe // thread oil sump

Post by christopher storey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:06 pm

If there is still a helicoil in there, as sounds to be the case, leave well alone . Clean up the thread as best you can with a tap ( the metal there is probably the result of the sump plug being magentic ) and replace the plug. If it wasn't leaking before , it should not leak now

If you are concerned about metal having progressed futher up the oil system, then it is worth taking off the oil filter, sawing the element in half , and looking for metal in the filter

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Mephistopheles
Germany

#3 Re: Sieve in oil suction pipe // thread oil sump

Post by Mephistopheles » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks Christopher!
Regards