Ignition switch,fuel petrol pumps cut out S3 V12 FHC

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Adamski
Great Britain

#1 Ignition switch,fuel petrol pumps cut out S3 V12 FHC

Post by Adamski » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 am

On a little trip a few weeks ago,got a couple of miles down the road and car stops. Deducted no power to fuel pumps.Temporary fix was to run a wire from rear lights to pumps as a get me home. Had a length of wire in emergency tool kit.
After much head scratching and a good many days of investigation and temporary loops with battery and bulb I concluded wire to pumps was intact. There's no real colour coding on them as they're cloth covered.
The error was the ignition switch was not powering the wire. Removal of the switch and spraying in lubricated CRC contact cleaner got it going. The plastic circular clip that holds the switch to the cylinder is rubbish so I sniped it out. I drilled a small hole in the female barrel and screwed in a small self tapping screw to hold the switch in position. I found that any pressure on the switch made it stiff to operate so I drilled a small counter sunk hole in the switch body for the screw, but not penetrating the body. A few washers on the screw just holds the switch in and stops it from falling out. I secured the protective rubber with a cable tie and it all works well now.
Yes I could have bought new switch.
Adam
S3 V12 E Type FHC Manual 1972-owned since 1978
1957 XK150 since 1976

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links