Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
eliacarl
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by eliacarl » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am

I’m attempting to confirm when Jaguar was producing the Series 3 E-type they first primed the body. Next, before applying the color coat, the LH Firewall area where the Vehicle Chassis Number is stamped they placed a small piece of tape over the number. After the car was painted the tape was removed. Rumor has it this was done to make the Chassis Number easier to read. Can this be verified or discounted?
If anyone who owns a S3 E-type and can locate the stamped Chassis Number the question is: Body color or Primer color? Of course any pictures provided would help to set the subject to rest. Any and all assistance is most appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#2 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by AussieEtype » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 am

Discussed here https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/series- ... ion/405580

But there is a slightly different audience here so may show a different perspective.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#3 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by vee12eman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 am

Hi,

My early car, produced in January 1971 had this area painted over in primer and body colour. When I repainted the car, I replicated this, but on inspection, the inspector could not read the number, so I stripped the paint off very carefully, then clear lacquered it afterwards.

I don’t have a photo, though some shots of the car when stripping it down show no bare metal or primer in that area.

Richard T Russ mentions the stamped in body number on the bulkhead in his excellent Guide to Authenticity. That tends to make me believe that the number was always painted over.

Regards,

Simon
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#4 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by lowact » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:06 pm

It's an E-type, "If it's painted properly, it's not original" ...

Imo that jaglovers conclusion is incorrect, you can see the paint in the numbers supposedly taped over. I.e. the paint has been scraped off.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dxke38
Great Britain

#5 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by dxke38 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:48 pm

My early ser 3 number 45 chassis number was definitely painted as the rest of the car
Derek
64 ser 1 fhc, 71 ser 3 2+2. Ser 3 now sold, looking for a new toy to keep Ser 1 company

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Colin
Great Britain

#6 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by Colin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi Ellecari
I have a picture of my 73 2+2 which is being restored and repainted. The photo was taken back in 2015. As you can see on the passenger side the chassis number (Circled) has been blanked and the rest painted. I have owned the car since it was 3 years old and there has been no damage/paintwork in that area so must assume that they blanked the chassis number with tape at production.

Hope this helps

Colin
S3 V12 2+2 1973
V12 Series III 2+2 1973

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#7 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by vee12eman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:03 pm

It looks exactly like mine, except that I removed the paint myself. Please understand I’m not saying Jaguar didn’t do it, just that we’re probably never going to know and they certainly didn’t do all of them.

My car had been painted, but not under the bonnet, which was original and in which the paint was definitely applied over the number.

I have a theory however, I was told to strip my paint from over the number by an inspector. Maybe if the original paint was too thick in that area, some more officious vehicle inspectors required the paint to be removed?

Regards,

Simon.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#8 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by angelw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 pm

There seems to be evidence that at least some cars may have had the VIN taped over to mask it during painting, but I've not seen an example among the many S3 cars I've worked on.

We currently have four S3 cars in work that are original, unmolested cars, plus another four that have been painted, but where the bulkhead has not been repainted and is clearly original; none have had tape put over the VIN.

My observation is that the bulkhead only got lick and a promise regarding top coat colour, with many examples showing the Red Oxide primer through the colour in areas. Accordingly, there has not been anywhere near enough paint applied to make the VIN hard to read.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#9 Re: Series 3 E-type Originality Question

Post by vee12eman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 pm

Maybe on rare occasions the painters had a fit and applied too much paint, then had to strip back for visibility of the numbers for reference, possibly even to identify the bodies for correct production and specifications?

Anyway, I just checked and found a photo. Mine definitely was not originally stripped/masked or devoid the paint in any way.

Regards
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic