Cosmetics

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#1 Cosmetics

Post by Fspp369 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 am

Hello all..I’m no metallurgist so here goes.
I’m thinking of taking advantage of the “strip down” in lock down, do do a little cosmetic work. I’m not doing the full concourse prep thing, to this effect I’m thinking of getting stuff powder coated here and there, simply because I can, knowing the torsion bars are hardened and tempered, would the near300deg C process have any effect on them ? I suspect not, but there forum members whom I’m sure who could give me a definitive answer. Perhaps more importantly would the grit blasting process impart a tendency to initiate micro cracks due to the rough CLA that it produces.?
Nitromors and red oxide may rule yet!
If I said I’m thinking of doing things silver rather than black everywhere what the response...be gentle with me!

Peter
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS
RR Phantom 3 1937 Sedanca de Ville.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Cosmetics

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 03, 2021 9:17 am

Hi Peter.....your car do what you want......but in my oppinion powder coat is not tne best way to go on anything under a car......its super tough but can crack..then moisture gets in and it starts to peal off......far better to paint...which can be touched up if required...also consider zinc/nickle plating suspension parts.....99% of members her on the forum paint and plate.........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#3 Re: Cosmetics

Post by Fspp369 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 am

Steve,
Yes it is, but knowledge is never wasted. I’ve used black implement enamel before....just wondered.
Plating, well that’s another question, my,experience with the RREC is that for some parts plating can be a problem, particularly in the case of stressed tempered parts due to Hydrogen embrittlement, which agreed can be mitigated against but .... !!
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Cosmetics

Post by christopher storey » Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 am

I had my torsion bars powder coated well over 10 years ago and they are still like new. Since they are not really in the line of fire for stone chips etc, the risk of peeling which Steve mentions is very small . That risk, however, is much greater for those items which may be bobmbarded by small stones on the road

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#5 Re: Cosmetics

Post by 1954Etype » Mon May 03, 2021 11:25 am

We always blast and wet paint the torsio bars. Regarding powder coating peeling, ours is always primed first so any chips stay as chips. I’ve only seen it peel when the colour is applied over the bare metal.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

71 V12
Great Britain

#6 Re: Cosmetics

Post by 71 V12 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:58 am

Hi Peter,

I had my torsion bars shot blasted and powder coated about 15 years ago now and still as good as when first done. I masked off the splines with duct tape before powder coating. I think I had them done by the same company you mentioned in another post down Bayton Road. They did (perhaps still do) a lot of automotive work for sub suppliers to JLR, so their process and materials are up to the appropriate specs.

They also did the splash shields, the rear cage and numerous other parts.

The front suspension was all BZP and also still looks good.

Cheers,

Kevin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fspp369
Great Britain

#7 Re: Cosmetics

Post by Fspp369 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Bayton Road is a really popular with local restorers.
They do respect wishes and do their best for the "little guy". Added to that.sensible prices. What's not to like ?
Some of the big names in "CAT".restoration use them.
Peter {XKE V12HE efi}
XKRS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic