Opus Amplifier

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Pete G
Great Britain

#1 Opus Amplifier

Post by Pete G » Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Many years ago prior to my ownership the original Opus Amplifier has been replaced with the "long lead" version for fitting on the picture frame. Unfortunately (for me) it was never actually fitted on the picture frame.
Can anyone supply photos of how it should be installed and the routing of the cables to/from the dizzy and ballast?
I have a short length of cable, about 3 ins. connected/earthed to the picture frame adjacent to the lhs header tank mounting. Is this an earth for the Opus or something else?
Pete G(formally e-bygum)
1971 S3 2+2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#2 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by Craig Balzer » Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 am

Pete

This is a tough area to get a good photo of, but I am in the process of pulling the engine on mine. The amplifier is mounted below the header tank -- it in fact uses the drivers side mount of the header tank on the cross bar.

The first photo sorta captures that, but is hard to see:

The second photo shows the header tank having been removed (thereby removing one half the support to the amplifier) and the amplifier "dangling" from the cross bar.

This photo also shows the wiring bundle from the amplifier running backward between the A/C compressor and the cam cover and hence on to the distributor.

It has been way too many years for me to remember well, but I believe the relocating kit came with the one bracket that wraps around the cross bar and secures one side of the amplifier as seen above. It is about the same structure as the brackets used to support the header tank (the passenger side bracket for the header tank is still wrapped around the cross) but is not nearly as robust.

Two minor points:
-- there is no short grounding strap associated with the amplifier. Most be something else
-- a close look reveals a ~1/2" circular spacer that keeps the amplifier away from the cross bar that IIRC came with the kit

Hope this helps -- Craig
Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#3 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by lowact » Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 am

Drivers side = left
Mine was originally on the cross-bar, not relocated, the long wires are part of the amplifier.
Amplifier wires fold back on themselves and were fixed by three clamps, on the left-inner head/timing cover bolt and 2 of the right side valley cover bolts.
There was a short earth wire from the amplifier mount to the adjacent water pump bolt. No circular spacer.
My Opus excl. distributor is available, if u need any bits, PM...
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Colin
Great Britain

#4 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by Colin » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi Pete
This may help - heres a couple of photos from my late (June build) 1973 V12 2+2.
Both the photos refer to "Amplifier" so I have attached the two photos plus the parts manual page for the later vehicles.The parts manual shows the wiring requirements and you may be able to work out where the wires go from that image. I seem to remember on the earlier cars that one of the two parts was moved from the radiator area due to the heat generated which caused failure and I think this what you are asking about (C37759). This now sits under the coil just in front of the wiper motor. Anyway hope these images help.
Colin
S3 V12 2+2

V12 Series III 2+2 1973

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pete G
Great Britain

#5 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by Pete G » Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm

Thanks guys that is just what I was looking for. I have all the bits, they are all connected to the dizzy and ballast but not secured to anything, the amplifier and loom are just lying loose in the "V". I don't know if it works or not I'm putting it all back where it should be to test it out and will then look to replace it if necessary.
I've had the car now for 17 years and not yet driven it, so it is about time I really got my finger out and put it back on the road. Besides which my wife is getting a bit narky about the front seats in her wardrobe after 5 years.

Colin, thanks for the info. on the later cars. It was just the amplifier box that was moved from the "V" to the front picture frame. The coil and ballast were not moved initially and remained at the front of the "A" bank.
Pete G(formally e-bygum)
1971 S3 2+2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SESH
Great Britain

#6 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by SESH » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 pm

Pete,
Wherever you end mounting it (mine is on the picture frame under the header tank) make sure you have a good earth through one of the mounting bolts. It is not earthed through the casing. You have to have a bolt through one of the mounting holes. I found this to my cost when I relocated the amplifier to the picture frame without fixing it in place in said fashion and had no spark! I ordered two header tank mounts from SNGB to fix the amplifier to the picture frame. Hope this helps.
Mike
1973 Jaguar E Type Series 3 OTS Signal Red
1968 Proteus Jaguar C Type Ecurie Ecosse Flag Blue
1963 Triumph TR4 Signal Red
2020 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pete G
Great Britain

#7 Re: Opus Amplifier

Post by Pete G » Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 am

Thanks Mike, I've mounted it under the header tank as per previous advice. Your confirmation of the need for an earth is welcomed. I don't know if it produces a spark yet, that's a job for today. Fingers crossed.
Pete G(formally e-bygum)
1971 S3 2+2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic