Series 3 Replacement mast for electric aerial

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
PJ54
Great Britain

#1 Series 3 Replacement mast for electric aerial

Post by PJ54 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:23 pm

Hi All,
The electric aerial has failed on my S3 2+2. The mast no longer extends although the motor can be heard to be turning. Without removing the whole assembly, I am hoping a replacement mast would cure the problem. Speaking to two or three suppliers, the part number for the replacement mast is JS 582 although this appears to be out of stock now (obsolete). Does anyone know of a source or have found an alternative part? Is the bottom line a complete new aerial assembly?
Thanks for any advice on a way forward.
Phil
Phil
Series3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lowact
Australia

#2 Re: Series 3 Replacement mast for electric aerial

Post by lowact » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:33 am

I went for the cheapest, a new aftermarket unit. Does require a custom mounting bracket. This was after doing the same as you, looking for just the mast or failing that, cannibalizing any other aerial for the mast. A whole new aftermarket aerial was the simplest, cheapest solution.

With the Jaguar aerials the motor and the mast are separately mounted, joined by a semi-flexible tube.
The mast is supported by the body panel, the motor is bolted to a structural part.

Aftermarket units are compact one piece things, so the motor needs to be supported at the mast location, where there is no existing support. Hence the requirement for the custom mounting bracket.

I note SNGB list aerials for XJ S3 cars, part number DAC4090*. It is the Jaguar 2 part style so, although not exactly the same as the e-type aerial, would be a straight forward replacement. They also sell the mounting brackets and other associated bits, should be everything you need.
Regards,
ColinL
'72 OTS manual V12

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PJ54
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 3 Replacement mast for electric aerial

Post by PJ54 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi ColIn,
Many thanks for your help with the aerial. I let the thread run a little while to see if there were any others in a similar situation.
It seems we have gone down a similar path and it sounds like the Jaguar aerial you have suggested would be the one to go for.
Thanks again for your help. Phil.
Phil
Series3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic