Rear suspension series 3 ots

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Pgxxl
Great Britain

#1 Rear suspension series 3 ots

Post by Pgxxl » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:13 pm

I would like to increase height be 1inch on the reR if my V12. Like to make stiffer as well. Currently have Konis fitted. Any idea much appreciated
1972 OTS
Opalescent silver blue
Purchased Oct 2020

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear suspension series 3 ots

Post by MarekH » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 pm

You can either fit spacers or change out the Konis for height adjustable dampers.

If your problem is with the exhaust bottoming out, then one strategy to adopt may be to loosen off all of the joins in the exhaust system, start the car to heat the exhaust and then jack the middle silencers higher into the body. Retighten. It may gain you a couple of inches more clearance.

You can also consider a shallower angle on the rear box pipes. This will also force the middle to settle higher up.

You can also look to alter the exhaust hanger to help maintain these changes.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

panamacarrera
Great Britain

#3 Re: Rear suspension series 3 ots

Post by panamacarrera » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi

Apologies for only just picking up your post.

Like you I was having problems with my car exhaust bottoming out, a problem that really showed up when I did the Scottish North Coast 500 with a boot full of camping gear in September last year.

Basically, I've done what Marek suggested, and it worked for me.

Before we went to Scotland I found my car had adjustable Spax gas shocks on the rear so I adjusted them to max... that helped a little, but Scotland's roads are not friendly to low cars and we regularly bottomed out damaging the front end of the exhaust.

When I got home I had the centre silencer removed, had the support hooks bent downward - to increase the height the rubber rings hold the silencer - and had the front and rear pipework bent to feed into the raised silence.

Although I haven't done many miles since all this work (Certainly not with the load we had in Scotland) the car is not scraping on local bumps that it has done in the past.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers
Nigel
'71 S3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic