Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Fredrik1
Sweden

#1 Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Post by Fredrik1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 am

Hi! I have spent quite some time trying to find replacements for the series 3 fender flares but can't find anything besides the entire sides of the hood. What do you do if only the flares are rusted out? Any other brand/model that have similar flares that are common to use? No, I don't have a series 3, but a series 2 and I like the S3 front flares! (yes, I know I need a different track width for it to make sense...)

BR,

//Fredrik
1969 FHC Cream white - will be polished soon...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Post by mgcjag » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:17 am

Hi.....if you search for wing arches you will find S3 rear repair panels. ....wings in UK fenders in US......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#3 Re: Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Post by AussieEtype » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:48 am

Mud guards in Australia :lol:
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#4 Re: Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Post by vee12eman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:00 am

Fredrick,

They aren’t available because no one needs them. The design of the bonnet means the flares rarely rust out, which normally happens where an inner arch meets an outer and water gets trapped between them. As has been suggested already, the wings are available, although expensive. Even if they were available, it would be very hard to make a sound, invisible repair which will stand up to the flexibility required of the bonnet assembly.

Also you are very rare in thinking the flares will look good on a Series 1 or 2 car, so there is no demand. Personally I think the flares, plus the wider wheel track, improve the looks so I support your view, but it will look odd if you don’t match up the rear end, which will be expensive and perhaps quite difficult too.

I support your desire to have the car you want, but perhaps actually buying a Series 3 is a more achievable aim?
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Fredrik1
Sweden

#5 Re: Series 3 front fender flare replacement parts?

Post by Fredrik1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks for the opinions! You explanations to why they are not available makes a lot of sense and switching the entire sides is overkill, despite some other repairs required. I'll think about this. Will stay with the S2 for sure, and given its current state it will not hurt anyones feelings whatever I do when getting it back on the road! :bigrin:

The rear end is another story, but I do have a lathe and tig welder for those extension jobs. Unless I can source the longer driveshafts/control arms. And I am not really a fan of the S3 rear flares, nor the bulbous racing fenders - too much in my opinion. So, will continue thinking about the rear.

//F
1969 FHC Cream white - will be polished soon...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic