Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Curtis Bay
Great Britain

#1 Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Curtis Bay » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:20 pm

I am currently putting my S3 roadster back together. It was originally a late model ('74) US car with all the smog control on it but this has all been removed.

I am trying to identify the triangular(ish) bracket with two holes in it that is welded onto the round diagonal brace tube on the right hand engine frame. It points outwards and downwards away from the exhaust on the right hand side of the car.

Can anyone tell me why the bracket is there? I can't seem to find any reference to it or what sometimes attaches to it.
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC - Opalescent silver blue metallic with grey interior
1974 Series 3 5.3 Auto DHC - Sable with biscuit interior - something which has to change!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#2 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Bob. » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:11 pm

On my 72MY the bracket only has one hole and that carries a 'P'clip locating the starter cable. I have pictures of later cars under rebuild showing the two hole version but not with the holes populated. Hopefully some else can say what the second hole carries.
Bob

Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Curtis Bay
Great Britain

#3 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Curtis Bay » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:25 pm

Hello Bob

That is the bracket - It just seems a bit over the top for a simple 'P' clip....

Could it have another use on different specification cars?
1974 Series 3 5.3 Auto DHC - Sable with biscuit interior - something which has to change!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#4 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Bob. » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:47 pm

You could try contacting Craig_Balzer on jag-lovers. He is documenting the strip down and rebuild of his S3 and one image posted in https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/craig-r ... -ii/408653 seems to show the two hole version of the bracket, unfortunately after removal of what was attached to it. Hopefully he will have a before image as well.
Last edited by Bob. on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jfmassa
United States of America

#5 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by jfmassa » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 pm

Early 71 with emissions. Two hole. Top hole only for wire clip.

Regards,

Joe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Curtis Bay
Great Britain

#6 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Curtis Bay » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:44 am

Many thanks for the information.

My car is a '74 US spec with which originally had all of the emission control stuff fitted. I don't recall removing anything of significance from the bracket so maybe it is just to help tidy up the starter cable and hoses for the emission equipment.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#7 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Craig Balzer » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:38 pm

"strip down and rebuild of his S3 and one image posted in https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/craig-r ... -ii/408653 seems to show the two hole version of the bracket"

I don't recollect anything being attached/secured to either of those small holes.

I have owned my 1972 Series III since 1979 and am the 3rdor 4th owner. Bought Jag with 29,XXX miles on it so was in relatively original condition.

Craig
Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

#8 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by Bob. » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:55 pm

Post #4 above - Deleted suggestion that hose from carbon cannister might anchor to frame bracket as have now found an image showing it fixed to the face of the RH footwell.
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#9 Re: Mystery Bracket on right hand engine frame

Post by angelw » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:42 am

Curtis Wrote:
Can anyone tell me why the bracket is there? I can't seem to find any reference to it or what sometimes attaches to it.
Hello Curtis,
What is supposed to be attached, is the heavy 12v feed wire from the common terminal stud, where the Positive lead from the battery is connected, to the Starter Motor, via the style of cable Clamp shown in the following picture.

The cable should be routed from the Starter Motor, through the cable clamp, which is attached to the Mystery Bracket, up to the underside of the horizontal, outside rail of the engine frame, then back towards the bulkhead to attach to the common, positive terminal stud. If you require a picture I can take one tomorrow.

I said "supposed to be attached", because on occasions, nothing was attached there and the Starter Motor cable was attached elsewhere. But of all the unmolested S3 cars I've seen (and I've seen many), the overwhelming majority had the Starter Motor 12v feed cable tethered to the Mystery Bracket as described above.

In my opinion, those that didn't have the cable attached as described, were due to how the production line worker was feeling on Monday, after a Sunday night out on the piss.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic