Page 1 of 1
#1 E type series 3
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:17 am
by emilecrowe
I am in process of purchasing an E type series 3 (1973) V12
Distance covid restrictions make it difficult to inspect but the mechanic that looks after the car and the receipts indicate well looked after amd keep in good Mech running. It’s not driven allot in lat 5 years. No signs of overheating but is there anything I should look out for on this model?
Cheers
#2 Re: E type series 3
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 am
by mgcjag
Rust, rust, and more rust....even an old rusted car can drive well and be mechanically ok......check engine number to the chassis and V5......Steve
#3 Re: E type series 3
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:30 pm
by Gfhug
I echo what Steve has said. It is fraught with danger to not inspect the car or to not get an independent and knowledgeable (about E Types, not just classic cars) person to do that for you. Whatever the present mechanic says!
Geoff
#4 Re: E type series 3
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:51 pm
by thermojac
Just to support the previous comments. I purchased my car 18 months ago looking in pretty good condition but it was only when I took the decision for a full bare metal respray did it highlight the true condition of the bodywork. A right wing, 2 door skins and a lot of cutting and welding later has it now got to a good solid state. Obvious culprits are wheel arches, boot floor, doors, sills and bonnet hinge bracket area.
I would be definitely be asking specific questions about the bodywork, supported with plenty of photographs.
All the best in your venture.
John