Page 1 of 1

#1 Scuttle shake

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:50 am
by Fspp369
Hello everyone,
It occurs to me that whilst I have my car in bits it’s the time to incorporate as many body upgrades as possible, to this effect I’m “doing” the sill stiffening thing and moving seat belt mountings to accommodate the seat move etc.
But, having just read an article about scuttle shake… does the S3 OTS suffer from this, I haven’t driven the car enough before the strip down to make a qualified assessment.
Are there any mods to make or reduce the problem if it exists?
Any other suggestions with regard to body strength issues would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance everyone.
Peter.

#2 Re: Scuttle shake

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:41 am
by lowact
Before my OTS i had an Alfa Spider, the flex/shake was quite noticeable. The E has been solid, not noticed any movement at all, very impressive.

#3 Re: Scuttle shake

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:25 am
by AussieEtype
Yes on the right roads the Series 3 does have a little scuttle shake but is really not too bad. Unless you build an internal cage there is not a lot you can do about it but if you have the outer sills off you could install a joining panel between the front and rear sill stiffener panels which might reduce the twisting moment of the body a little but would not be all that noticeable.

Garry

#4 Re: Scuttle shake

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:43 am
by MarekH
Might this be a partly a function of stiffness of suspension?

Many of us will have the original torsion bars fitted and these will be progressively wound up more and more as the car sags with age. The rears will eventually be reset by buying new springs but the fronts probably just get raised and tightened in response.

kind regards
Marek

#5 Re: Scuttle shake

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:23 pm
by Craig Balzer
You may want to reach out to Chuck at Monocoque Metalworks
https://monocoque-metalworks.myshopify.com/

He has kits to stiffen the sills with stronger gussets and a steel tube (the gussets have notches built-in to accommodate the steel tube)
He also has a kit that fits behind the seats on the floor that run from sill to trans tunnel on both sides.
Although I don't recall any kits or mods to address specifically scuttle shake -- he may have something that'll help

Admittedly, Chuck specializes in 6-cylinder versions, but he has bits for the Series III as well.
HTH
Craig

Image
https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/ma ... -subframe/

#6 Re: Scuttle shake

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:08 am
by Fspp369
]I’m currently going down the “tube and plates” route and I’ve had a chat with Chuck, sadly his range of S3 bits and pieces things is very limited.
I take it from the comments, bulkhead stiffening is not really warranted. I’ve taken a look at the area of bulkhead /sill union and have a couple of ideas.
The point at which the engines frames meet the lower bulkhead seems a particularly weak spot, and at the moment it’s fairly easy for me to do something about it,….as to what, well ..tba!
I’ll post a few pics as things progress.
Keep the thoughts coming please, much appreciated.
P