Adjustable shocks

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Pgxxl
Great Britain

#1 Adjustable shocks

Post by Pgxxl » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:47 pm

As my series 3 ots seems to bottom out easily I would like to fit some adjustable rear shocks . So I can higher the ride height.
1972 OTS
Opalescent silver blue
Purchased Oct 2020

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#2 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by angelw » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:59 pm

Pgxxl Wrote:
As my series 3 ots seems to bottom out easily I would like to fit some adjustable rear shocks . So I can higher the ride height.
Shock absorbers don't change the ride height, springs do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by abowie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 pm

As Bill says. One option is to fit some spacers between the spring landing on the shock and the spring itself.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#4 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by bitsobrits » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:56 am

angelw wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:59 pm
Pgxxl Wrote:
Shock absorbers don't change the ride height, springs do.
Adjustable perch dampers are very effective at changing the ride height, without negatively impacting ride quality. If the intent is to raise the rear, you should be able to use your original springs.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by mgcjag » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:45 am

Hi...whats your name...youve been on the forum quite a while now....please try to put your name and car model in the signature area......re your ride height.....first thing would be to measure your rear ride height to see if its correct..details in the S3 service manual....if its in spec you can fit spacers under the springs to give you more height. .....if you want adjustable height platform shocks then they are available...note that you may need to fit a spring designed for the specific shock......SNGB has adjustaple height shocks as do other suppliers....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#6 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by vee12eman » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:55 pm

I have original springs fitted to Adjustable rate and platform height Gaz shock absorbers from SNG. They have been fitted for some years so check if they are still compatible with standard springs but I now have the correct ride height and I’m very happy.

As per my signature, this is on a Series 3 FHC.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#7 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by Barry » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:34 am

Why on earth you’d want to raise the ride height I don’t understand. You will complexly change the quality of the handling. I would suggest you either keep the standard springs, and fit adjustable dampers to change rebound and or compression. That will stop bottoming out. Or change springs as well. SNG Barrett are a good source to achieve what you want, but please don’t raise the ride height. Apart from anything else’s, that car will end up looking like an off road tractor!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#8 Re: Adjustable shocks

Post by vee12eman » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:59 am

I did not raise the ride height. I restored it to correct height. My original springs were slightly short, possibly compressed over the years and I looked at all the options, including spacers. Cost and availability for shipping to Australia meant this was the best option. Ride and handling are wonderful to me at least.

I run my car on something of a budget. However much I might wish to upgrade, update and at times farm the work out, I can’t afford it. The only way I could afford my car was to buy a wreck and do all the work myself

Apart from the 5 speed gearbox, because it was cheaper than any other conversion to manual, and an aluminium radiator, the same cost as a replacement for my (missing) original, plus the Gaz shock absorbers, my car is basically original and all the better for it IMHO.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic