Floor Pan Coating

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
kevh
Great Britain

#1 Floor Pan Coating

Post by kevh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:17 pm

The floor pan of my '73 ots is coated internally with a 2mm-3mm hard black bitumen type product and then painted red oxide colour. It has certanly done the job it was applied to do as underneath this coating 99% of the pan appears to be as new with just a very small area needing attention and when sorted I would like to reapply a similar coating to make good again, what coating would this be?
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by MarekH » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:31 pm

It's the same thick bitumen paint you buy from a builder's merchants and put on a flat roof.
Clean the brush with white spirit.
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kevh
Great Britain

#3 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by kevh » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:07 pm

Thanks Marek, was this applied at the factory or has a PO put it on?
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Pete G
Great Britain

#4 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by Pete G » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:59 pm

My 71 s3 has what sounds like the same floor covering that you describe. Mine is very brittle, certainly not paint, it is in squares very much like Marley floor tiles. Mine was definitely factory fitted ,sprayed body colour. I can't tell what was used to fix it to the steel floor. In the "old days" it was said to be applied to stop drumming of metal panels.
If you find a replacement let us know please.
Pete G(formally e-bygum)
1971 S3 2+2 OSB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#5 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:42 pm

It is called Flintkote and is a bitumen like sheet material. I think it is no longer available but I have used a similar material on some of my other cars. It has a self adhesive backing and is very effective. Use a hot air gun to help mould it to the contours of the panels. I can dig out the details tomorrow, if you want.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#6 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by MarekH » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:01 pm

kevh wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:07 pm
Thanks Marek, was this applied at the factory or has a PO put it on?
I suspect it dates from about 1989. You can get spray nozzles which splatter it out or you can also use a small roller like for behind radiators. The glued panels mentioned have traditionally been used to stop vibration and used to have a standard automotive glue (like evo-stick but higher temperature) as a backing.
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris420sa
Great Britain

#7 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by chris420sa » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:48 am

I was very interested in this dialogue. Both of my S3 floor pans have been replaced over time; one by a PO and one under my ownership. The replacements did not have any of the material mentioned. When the engine was removed for a re-build a year or so ago, I took the opportunity to access areas which would otherwise be difficult/almost impossible to get to. That included removing the hardura from the floor pans (easier said than done due to the copious amounts of glue applied), cleaning up the surface and painting with Eastwoods POR 15 anti-rust paint. I applied two coats to the interior of the floor pans and other exposed surfaces - as well as parts of myself. After curing I replaced the hardura with a more modern equivalent. It all seems to work OK and there's no "drumming" or vibrations.
POR 15 is by no means cheap but seems to have a good reputation and is reasonably easy to apply with a brush.
Best regards
Chris
Chris Davies
1972 Series 3 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kevh
Great Britain

#8 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by kevh » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:19 am

Should there be hardura under all carpeted areas? mine only has it around the tunnel and on the fire wall. I will be replacing it all soon so may as well put it where it should be. Also, is it best to keep with the hardura or swap to a more heat resistant material, such as https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1938-a ... heatshield
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#9 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by DWW » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:46 pm

Short answer yes.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:48 pm

kevh wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:19 am
Should there be hardura under all carpeted areas? mine only has it around the tunnel and on the fire wall.
Hi Kev

Do you mean Hardura, or do you mean the 1/2" thick rubberised felt that sits under the carpets for sound deadening?

Hardura is the PVC coated felt that is fitted to the bulkhead, A pillars, etc.

Definitely fit the felt if it's missing. It will help to reduce noise and heat.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
kevh
Great Britain

#11 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by kevh » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi Stuart
Yes I meant the 10mm felt with the rubberised face, I have ordered some from Woolies and will put it under all the carpet, at the moment I just have the odd piece of foam which must have been fitted by a previous owner.
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ReconPilot
United States of America

#12 Re: Floor Pan Coating

Post by ReconPilot » Sun May 15, 2022 2:00 am

I was faced with the same problem after replacing both floors in my '74 OTS. I wanted to reapply material that closely matched the original for (1) appearance and, most importantly (2) for sound attenuation. It doesn't really do much for keeping out heat!
Found a company here in the USA, Great Southern Insulation Corp., Plantation, FL that sells a D126 Damping Sheet (Bitumen Asphalt w/adhesive backing) 38" x 46" size. It's pricey at $35 USD a sheet and the shipping is a costly (UPS shipper). The material does the job, very closely resembles the original, can be heat formed and the adhesive backing works well. I applied it to the door skin insides without issue before painting.
You can source the D126 material from www.stopthesound.com, their website.
Hope this helps. Good luck and keep the Forum posted (w/pic's) of your progress.

Happy Trails,

Dick

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic