Which Ignition

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
kevh
Great Britain

#1 Which Ignition

Post by kevh » Sun May 15, 2022 6:48 am

My car has Luminition ignition which is working without any issues but I think it was fitted when Adam was a lad so I will be looking to replace it before it tells me I have to :wink:
Question for all you guys who have already done this is which would you fit now?
Kev

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Which Ignition

Post by abowie » Sun May 15, 2022 10:02 am

kevh wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:48 am

which is working without any issues
If it works, I would leave it well alone.

My XJS has an older Crane XR700 system, and it is unreliable. I plan to replace it all with a Pertronix Digital HP module and Pertronix distributor insert.

If it worked however, I would leave it well alone.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MontanaDiver
United States of America

#3 Re: Which Ignition

Post by MontanaDiver » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:50 am

I fitted the SNG replacement unit. The only change I would make is to go to a vacuum advance, mine is retard USA spec, and have carb drilled for that vacuum source. Otherwise their system has been great. I thought I was having issues with the module/igniter but I was having a vapor lock issue in hot weather.

Dennis
Dennis
74 E-type OTS 4 speed
1990 Jaguar XJS V12 convertible
Great Falls, Montana

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jagwit
South Africa

#4 Re: Which Ignition

Post by jagwit » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:50 am

In my opinion the pertronix 9lu-1122a (Please note the "a" at the end of the part no is MOST important) is a very cost effective and elegant solution for the V12 now. Have not used it myself though.

I would recommend this upgrade be implemented with the vacuum advance module JLM519 on the dissy connected directly to manifold vacuum. Both my S3's run beautifully like this.
Best Regards
Philip
Jag: 72 S3 XKE, 74 S3 XKE OTS, 80 XJS (Megasquirt + 5sp manual O/D)
Jensen: 74 Interceptor (EFI by Megasquirt + O/D 4sp auto)
Chev: 59 Apache std, 70 C10 (350V8, 700R4)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nialls Shortbear
Virgin Islands (USA)

#5 Re: Which Ignition

Post by Nialls Shortbear » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:18 am

I fitted the Lumenition, the SNG and the Pertronix in the last 2 year, The Lumenition photo eye failed at 800 Miles and the customer service from the company in London is horrid. The SNG system is working fine, that dizzie was converted to Vac advance as described in a post above as have both dizzies and the Lumenition car now has Pertronix in it, the "less brainy" version.

I was very disappointed with the Lumenition as I had made a custom loom to mount their small amp up front so when I changed to Pertronix I added another pair to the Loom for that so I have the Lumenition system as a back up on the car and I carry a new photo eye around as well as a spare Pertronix. You may gather from all of this that I dont really trust either of them and plenty people say both have become much worse in failure rates. The Pertronix just completed 1200 mile trip so far since install.

In terms of cost Pertronix is far cheaper and simpler, one component when compared to the others, the SNG is dear but it features the dizzie and we did not trade ours in making it about an 1100 dollar job. This is worth noting, as when we immediately sent that SNG dizzie to the BVUnit to get its mapping checked and converted to advance, he reported it was fairly poorly overhauled.

Given all that my summary so far would be to go with Pertronix and get your dizzie mapped and converted for advance (with carb as required) and checked out by one of the good guys doing that on east coast. You could probably do that all in for under 600 bucks. Add the spare in the glove box and you might be at 750.
Cheers
NS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#6 Re: Which Ignition

Post by abowie » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:31 am

abowie wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:02 am

My XJS has an older Crane XR700 system, and it is unreliable. I plan to replace it all with a Pertronix Digital HP module and Pertronix distributor insert.
I've now been running the XJS for maybe 6 months with the Pertronics Digital HP and the Pertronix LU-1121A Ignitor Ignition Module.

I've been very happy with the result; the car runs flawlessly.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic