Rear end vent tube

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
TulsaMat
United States of America

#1 Rear end vent tube

Post by TulsaMat » Fri May 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Hopefully an easy question. I had a friend reseal the diff for me on my 73 roadster. I’ve painted the diff since, but now I notice that the vent tube can rotate about 30 degrees to the left and right as well. So it seems loose to me. The threaded L that screws into the rear diff plate…….is there a nut on the inside that it screws into? Is it supposed to be able to move like that? I’d love to know before I take the back cover off and have to reseal it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Rear end vent tube

Post by christopher storey » Fri May 27, 2022 4:47 pm

Yes it is supposed to move under light finger pressure and does not need further securing. Quite why it is like that I do not know

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#3 Re: Rear end vent tube

Post by bitsobrits » Sat May 28, 2022 1:31 am

There is no rational reason why it should move "under light finger pressure" as it's a tapered pipe joint. Mine, before the IRS rebuild, was dead vertical and didn't move at all. When I did the rebuild (with a finned alloy rear cover) I used a bit of teflon tape to improve the seal and tightened the elbow to a solid vertical position before threading on the upright tube and vent.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: Rear end vent tube

Post by christopher storey » Tue May 31, 2022 6:29 pm

Do you know, Steve, I think you have answered the question for me with your statement that you installed the angled piece first and then screwed the mushroom piece into the angle . I had never seen the angle on its own, and with the mushroom piece already attached to it, it will only screw in so far before the mushroom hits the casing and prevents further screwing in of the angle piece. You live and learn :bigrin: :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#5 Re: Rear end vent tube

Post by bitsobrits » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:43 pm

The short vertical tube between the angle fitting and the vent can look to be 'one' with the angle fitting. During my rebuild, when I tried to remove the vent, the short tube unscrewed with the vent, which is how I learned this was a three piece assembly, at least on my early 4.2 car.

Agreed that these cars yield their secrets slowly, over time.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic