Stuck Wheel Spinners

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Brewer
United States of America

#1 Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Brewer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:28 am

Can't seem to loosen the front wire wheel spinners on my S3, even using a bigger hammer. Does anyone know if it's ok to apply heat to these? Also, the service manual refers to section 74.20.01 for wheel removal - this section doesn't exist in any manual I've seen, so I don't see any procedure for wheel bearing service, etc. Am I missing something? :scratchheadyellow:
Richard
'72 OTS manual 4-speed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by MarekH » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:55 am

Applying heat works very well.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by abowie » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:22 am

Use a 3lb lead headed hammer.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Brewer
United States of America

#4 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Brewer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:54 am

Thanks, Andrew. I've tried that already - and managed to miss the paintwork! I'll try it again with the addition of heat as Marek suggests.
Richard
'72 OTS manual 4-speed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Brewer
United States of America

#5 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Brewer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:59 am

Marek, thank you. Very reassuring. I tried a bit of heat previously but will get more aggressive with the heat gun; I want to avoid a torch if at all possible. Has anyone encountered any documentation on wheel removal & component servicing? I'd like to know what I'm going to find once I get the wheels off.
Richard
'72 OTS manual 4-speed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#6 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Simonpfhc » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi Richard,

Inpresume you are referring to servicing/replacement of rear wheel bearings?? The procedure is well covered in the S1/S2 service manual so I’m surprised it is not covered in the S3 manual? It’s relatively straightforward and parts readily available.

Why do you suspect rear bearing issues?
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Brewer
United States of America

#7 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Brewer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:49 pm

Hello, Simon, and thanks for the post. Actually, my concern (so far) has been only with removing the front wheels. I have no reason to suspect rear wheel bearing problems. The S3 manual covers those also, and the front bearings, but the procedures seem to anticipate I have the disc wheels with lugs, not wire wheels, so I'm curious about what I'm going to encounter once the spinners are (hopefully) off. Don't see this documented or diagrammed anywhere.
Richard
'72 OTS manual 4-speed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Brewer
United States of America

#8 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Brewer » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:50 pm

Success! LOTS of (heat gun) heat, a 3 pound persuader and the appropriate words of encouragement did the trick. Now, when the spinners cool, I'll pull the wheels. By the way, the project is rebuilding the ball joints and replacing the remains of the gaiters. Thanks for the advice, all. :yellow:
Richard
'72 OTS manual 4-speed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 pm

Richard, great news! As for wire wheels, again consult the S1/S2 manual, I should imagine little difference as Jaguar wouldn't change things unless it was inexpensive or necessary.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:44 pm

Geoff - and Richard : rather speculatively I would be a bit cautious about translating S1 and s2 settings to the S3 in this particular respect, because the wheels are significantly wider and with 205 tyres as standard , so that the bearing specs/clearances may conceivably be different. Probably Marek will know

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#11 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by Gfhug » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Christopher, a very valid point and wheel (pun intended) wait on Marek.
However, would there be any information in Philk’s excellent database of service and spares bulletins database:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16468

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#12 Re: Stuck Wheel Spinners

Post by angelw » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:23 pm

Richard Wrote:
The S3 manual covers those also, and the front bearings, but the procedures seem to anticipate I have the disc wheels with lugs, not wire wheels, so I'm curious about what I'm going to encounter once the spinners are (hopefully) off.
Hello Richard,
The process for Splined Hubs is exactly the same as for Studded Hubs, the only difference being for the rear hubs which require a different Hub Extraction Tool; JD 1D for Studded Hubs and JD 7A for Splined Hubs. Following is my set up for removing the Rear Spined Hubs. The actual JD 7A tool is effectively the same, except where I have a sliding fit for the Press Mandrel in the centre hole, the actual JD 7A has a threaded hole for use with a Treaded Mandrel to do the pushing. If Loctite has been used on the Half Shaft Splines, removal of the Hub is beyond the capability of the actual JD 7A tool using the threaded mandrel and hence my development of the setup shown in the pictures below.

The picture showing the tool sitting on timber is only for display to show the Hub coming up through the plate from below.

Even with this setup, heat will be require to destroy the characteristics of the LocTite if permanent variety has been used. Ten Ton pressure is my limit pressing cold.

Where the heat needs to get is well insulated by an air gap, accordingly, its hard to get the desired area hot with a flame, it needs to be a soaking type of heat as per an oven and for that purpose we have an oven where the whole Half Shaft, Hub Carrier and Hub can be accommodated (Seen in the right background of the following picture).

All of the end float specifications for Front and Rear Wheel Bearings for the S3 cars have been tightened up; accordingly, use the values specified in the S3 Manual.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic