Radiator Grille

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#21 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Paul Buckley » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:22 pm

Judging by the parts drawing, I think that the number 12 in the SNG drawing is depicted as the shape of the BD39095 but when you click on it the shape is that of the BD38867 !
To clarify, my S3 has not been molested and when I removed the chrome grill and the top finisher I did not find a clip with the shape of BD39095.
I am very interested in finding out the purpose of this clip.
Paul

1972 S3 OTS, 32k mls, a survivor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#22 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by angelw » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:28 pm

Paul Wrote:
The only other clips on my S3 radiator intake top chrome mouldings are BD38867.
These clips sit at either end of the chrome moulding and fit OVER the strip ends and are secured with a self tapper.
I do not have, and cannot visualise how they are used, the BD39095 clips.
Where are they on the parts drawing?
and

Paul Wrote:
Judging by the parts drawing, I think that the number 12 in the SNG drawing is depicted as the shape of the BD39095 but when you click on it the shape is that of the BD38867 !
To clarify, my S3 has not been molested and when I removed the chrome grill and the top finisher I did not find a clip with the shape of BD39095.
They go roughly where shown in Craig Balzer's picture in Post #10. Just because your cars doesn't have these clips, doesn't mean they don't exist. Unmolested generally means that the car is untouched and not got at. Alas, I suspect that your car may not be quite as unmolested as you think it is. Your car has been painted, at least the Lower Valance has; paint inside the the Front B/Bar securing threaded hole is a give away, as does what appears to be filler not removed from the securing hole for the end clips you refer to, as shown in the following picture, if you enlarge the picture in your post. It could well be that the original holes for the BD39095 clips have been covered with plastic filler.

I have quite a few actual, unmolested cars in work. When I get time, I'll take a picture of exactly where these clips go for you.

The issue with the SNGB website is simply an error with their indexing; its a common error. Item 16 shown on their site, the BD38867, chrome clip you have referred to as the only other clip, yields the BD39095 clip.

Regards,

Bill
Last edited by angelw on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#23 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by angelw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 am

Paul Wrote:
The following picture is taken from the ground looking up, showing the hole where the BD39095 clip is secured to the mouth of the bonnet; you should be able to see the rust outline of the shape of the tang of the clip shown in earlier Posts The bracket seen in the picture is one of the upper brackets that is one of the attachments for the grill. Of course, there is another corresponding hole aligned with the other upper bracket. This car is an actual, unmolested car, simply representing the deterioration of how the car left the factory.

If your car doesn't have these holes, I'm confident in saying that no one would go out of their way to close these holes correctly by welding, but more likely they have been covered with plastic filler in an earlier repair.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#24 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Paul Buckley » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:57 am

Thank you, Bill, for a very comprehensive answer to my post.

On thinking back I remember, sometime in the 70's, I was told by a garage that one of their mechanics had accidentally driven my car into a sign pole on their parking lot, damaging the front of the bonnet, and that they accepted the responsibility and would repair the car, which they did.
Also, after 25 years storage I had the car re-commissioned during which the front valance was resprayed with the bumpers removed!

So you are quite correct in saying that my car is not as unmolested as I claimed!
Perhaps what I should have said was that my car was not a restoration.

Do the BD39095 clips have anything to do with securing the upper mouth chrome finishing strip, or are they used to secure the grill?

Best regards
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#25 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by angelw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:17 pm

Paul Wrote:
Do the BD39095 clips have anything to do with securing the upper mouth chrome finishing strip, or are they used to secure the grill?
Hello Paul,
These clips are only for holding the centre section of the upper chrome moulding. If you look at the picture in Craig's Post you will get the idea of how the clip attaches to the moulding, then the clip is secured to the holes in the bonnet, shown in the picture in my previous Post, by self tapping screws through the hole in the tang of the clip.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#26 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Paul Buckley » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi Bill

The top of the grill is secured by two clips which uses self tappers to fasten to two 'tangs' which are welded to the inside of the air intake, as per picture.

Are you saying that there should be two further 'tangs' welded to the inside of the air intake for use by the BD39095 clips?

Best regards
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#27 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by angelw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Paul Wrote:
Are you saying that there should be two further 'tangs' welded to the inside of the air intake for use by the BD39095 clips?
Hello Paul,
No. the tang of the BD39095 clips are secured by one self tapping screw each, directly to the lip of the air intake. The other end of the clip locates in the channel of the chrome moulding.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#28 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by angelw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm

Paul Wrote:
Hello Paul,
The following picture should make it clear how the clip attaches. It simply locks into the channel of the chrome moulding and the tang of the clip with the hole in it is secured to the mouth of the air intake via a self tapping screw directly into the bonnet, circa where the hole is illustrated in the following picture.

If you were to feel on the inside of your bonnet, in the area indicated by the illustrated hole in the picture below, there is a more than reasonable chance that you will find your original hole with a worm of plastic filler coming through, where a less than perfect, no filler repair has been carried out.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#29 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Paul Buckley » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi Bill

Got it!

I was confused as to how the clips could possibly be used with the chrome finisher snug against the bodywork.
They can't, in that scenario, but I had not realised that the chrome finisher actually protrudes slightly below the curved body line in order to allow the clips to fit inside the chrome finisher!
You commented previously that the chrome finisher was a dreadful fit .... now I understand why!

I have inspected my bonnet for any tell tale holes, both outside and inside the bonnet nose flange.
There are none, neither is there any evidence of plastic filler being used, anywhere.
So I guess that the ding on the nose has been repaired properly, but why I can't find the two clip holes?
A mystery. Perhaps they were never fitted on my car.

However, I now need to drill the two holes for the pop rivets, but I think I will wait until I get the
BD39095 clips.

Thank you Bill, your time and help is very appreciated, not to mention your patience!

Kind regards
Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Craig Balzer
United States of America

#30 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Craig Balzer » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 pm

Kev said: "I am still not 100% sure of which colour paint to go with, I am currently sticking to dark BRG but every time I see one in signal red I have second thoughts as they do look good, I don't know why I keep imposing these headaches upon myself."

I anguished for years in choosing the color to paint mine.
I thought the issue was behind me when I picked red.
Then my painter asked "Which red?" :cry:

Then ensued another year of attending car shows and selecting THE red. :salute:
I wasn't tied to original Jaguar colors and my painter prefers PPG - hence Viper Red 8-)

Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Paul Buckley
Great Britain

#31 Re: Radiator Grille

Post by Paul Buckley » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:17 am