Page 1 of 1

#1 Hot Running Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:29 pm
by thermojac
I seem to have developed a fault when the engine gets up to running temp that it starts to get lumpy, then I loose revs, then it comes back but eventually grinds to a halt. It will start again but very low revs and mis-firing. Depending on how long I leave it to cool down will then depend on how far I get before it starts again. Is this symptomatic of a failing OPUS system?

#2 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:48 pm
by MarekH
To find out, put a bag of frozen peas on the OPUS or temporarily patch in a spare unit and attempt a restart and report back.

kind regards
Marek

#3 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:17 pm
by thermojac
Hi Marek, I have just been waiting on some freezer spray which arrived today so have now been able to pretty much confirm that the fault dissappears when the amplifier is cooled down. The question now is, where can I get a replacement amplifier without buying the whole SNG conversion kit?

#4 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:38 pm
by macman
Hi ,you can move the box to a cooler position,
get the cable extended and move to
the top of the pictureframe is much cooler.
Try that before you buy a new ampplifier,
It work on my v12
Rob Gill

#5 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:46 pm
by thermojac
Thanks Rob, I was just thinking of trying that but was wondering if it would make any difference if the amplifier was damaged so your feedback gives me a bit more confidence to try.

#6 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:50 am
by jagwit
If the issue is not OPUS (and that would be my first guess also) then have a read of this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16143&p=132421#p132421

There is a very cost effective upgrade for OPUS in my opnion:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18921&p=157064&hili ... ix#p157064

#7 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:25 pm
by thermojac
Thanks Phillip. I have moved the amplifier to the front of the picture frame as Rob advised and so far, it looks like it has resolved the issue but I will take it on a longer run to get a bit more confidence.

#8 Re: Hot Running Issues

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:33 pm
by jagwit
thermojac wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:25 pm
Thanks Phillip. I have moved the amplifier to the front of the picture frame as Rob advised and so far, it looks like it has resolved the issue but I will take it on a longer run to get a bit more confidence.
I strongly recommend you replace that OPUS anyway. It is NOT a good ignition system in many ways!!

Keeping it just sets you up for being stranded in traffic at some point when least convenient.