Page 1 of 1
#1 S3 speakers
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 9:37 am
by baganz.sven@web.de
Dear forum colleagues,,
reassembly of my E has started and I'm wondering if the speakers have been in the right place when I bought the car. Does the S3 from 1971 have the speakers in the radio console or in the rear behind the seats? Attached is a picture, how it looked before disassembly.
Thank you for advice and best reagrds
Sven

#2 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2026 6:17 pm
by Pete G
Hi Sven
The speakers in my 1971 2+2 s3 were fitted in the mesh sides of the radio console. They looked as though they had been fitted as a very poor DIY job. There is a hole in the metal each side behind the front seats covered by the vinyl trim which looks to be the correct place for the speakers. A loom crosses the hole and two wires exit this which are continuous with wires behind the radio console but not connected to anything. The speakers that I removed from the console will not fit the holes behind the seats.
All the evidence from my car suggests that the speakers should be fitted in the sides behind the seats which is where I wil fit them when I get a round tuit.
Pete
#3 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2026 10:30 am
by kevh
#4 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 2:06 pm
by baganz.sven@web.de
Perhaps someone can post a picture of the original speaker position and grille of an S3 coupé.
Thank you in advance
Sven
#5 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 3:31 pm
by Redman
Behind seats / speaker wiring present: the photo is from an open top - is this the same for the S3 2+2? And is this not where it is possible to fit inertial reel seat belt mechanism so it is out of the way? (Was thinking of the latter.)
Thanks.
#6 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2026 9:06 pm
by John37
They are behind the seats on my 2+2. Possibly the soft tops are different.
#7 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 7:31 am
by baganz.sven@web.de
Hello John, could you post a picture from your car?
Best regards
Sven
#8 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 8:41 am
by ManniB
Hope it helps.
- Manfred
#9 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 1:47 pm
by John37
#10 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2026 10:24 am
by baganz.sven@web.de
Thank you for your help!
I have ordererd grilles from Jaguar which should have an "original" look.
Best regards
Sven

#11 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2026 1:13 pm
by Marcusu
Hi Sven,
Can you please let me know where you got those speakers grilles from?
I want to replace the rubbish looking modern ones the previous owner put on my car.
Cheers, Marcus
#12 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2026 11:44 pm
by baganz.sven@web.de
Hi Marcus,
I have ordered them from Jaguar (extremely expensive). But they are also available from other suppliers. Just search for the original part no. BD39698
Best regards Sven
#13 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2026 10:29 am
by Marcusu
Thanks Sven,
I’ve searched on SNG Barratt, Martin Robey and the Jaguar spares sites but none of them have the that part number in stock.
Did you order them via a specific website, or contact Jaguar directly?
I can’t seem to find the speaker grille or bezel available with any of the usual UK suppliers.
#14 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2026 10:44 pm
by John37
Try a general search on Google or ebay. There's a number of speaker grills available that look very similar to the ones you want. They're cheap too.
#15 Re: S3 speakers
Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2026 3:25 pm
by ianb