Rear axle S3

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Trjag

#1 Rear axle S3

Post by Trjag » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Hello ,
I am a new member in the e type club and driving since 34 years anTR6 PI.I have kept that car all over the years and are every time impressed about the comfortability in driving with that rough car in the fourth gear with overdrive - Really best cruising feeling .
Recently I bought this amazing S3 2+2 US Version in very good shape, but there is still something to do,keep it in shape or to bring it in even better condition. Driving makes fun but to understand and work the technic of the 70 ' th cars is much more interesting . Ok that must not be everybody's stile.
But now coming up to my question: As I mentioned it's a US car - which has been fitted with a 3.54 rear axle - that's ok for speed limited US roads - but if you drive constantly with 130 Km/h on German motorways it's everything else than stressless due to the high engine speed.
My idea is to convert or install a 2.88 rear axle !
Is there anybody who did that and could give a proofed reliable address where I can get that axle and has maybe own experience in driving that conversion .
Many thanks from Trjag Germany

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

Post by MarekH » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:24 am

I have also done this conversion and am very happy with it.

I also have a spare 2.88 unit from an XJS which is for sale if you want to contact me via private message.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm

I have an E-type V12 6,0 with a 2,88 diff and a Getrag 5-Gear. This combination works very well. Maybe the first gear of the original jag-gearbox with a 2,88 diff would be a little bit "long".
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gt750jim

Post by gt750jim » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:40 am

i also have a 2.88 lsd ?50 plus postage if anyone wants it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Woolfi
Germany

Post by Woolfi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 am

Which condition is this diff. ?
Do you know the cost of transport to Germany ?
Regards Wolfgang Gatza

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Trjag

#6 Rear axle S 3

Post by Trjag » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for your input. I decided to the 2.88 conversion with a used XJS Diff. here out of the Forum . Keep you informed about the progress.
By the way - woolfi - thanks for your technical substantionally based threads which you have posted in several forums - very helpful

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic