Page 1 of 1

#1 2.88 diff change

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:37 pm
by 42south
Hi guys
Will a 2.88 diff pumpkin from a 1987 v12 XK S3 saloon fit into the diff cage of my S3 etype?
What about the brake rotors, do I need these as well, or will my S3 rotors bolt onto the 2.88.
As I'm more of a cruiser than racer, and the car has a Getrag 5 speed fitted, I figure this will be a good change.

#2

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 pm
by PeterCrespin
Dick Maury just gave you the answer on Jag-lovers Mark. He has rebuilt more Salisbury diffs than you or I have had hot dinners. Nobody here knows anything he doesn't.

My only comment would be to ensure you don't accidentally buy a Dana diff, which is easily spotted because they have no drain plug. An 87 is a bit late for one of those I think, because AFAIK they appeared briefly around 84-85 on the XJ12 and XJ-S.



Pete

#3 2.88 diff

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 am
by 42south
Thanks Pete for you reply
I have firmed up on the 2.88 from a 1987 sovereign saloon that has been damaged in a front end shunt.
I pm'd dick and he kindly gave me more helpful info. So now Im set for next winters project.
Thanks for your tip on the Dana diff, I will check it out.
I think I might do the input and output shaft seals before installation as its such a pain to get at them.