Page 1 of 1

#1 Bleeding Brakes on S3

Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:39 am
by and.nox
I'm just finally completing the conversion of my S3 Coupe from LHD to RHD and all's gone well. (See related previous thread).
Fired it up today and topped up coolant and power steering fluid then attempted to bleed the brakes. Managed to pump fluid through the front lines but couldn't get fluid through he back ones. The car has a Pressure Differential Warning Actuator (PDWA) fitted and according to the manual, I therefore need to bleed the brakes with the engine running. Tried that - no luck. Prior to the conversion, brakes worked well. Any suggestions? :(

#2

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:19 am
by and.nox
Me again. In case someone reads this in the future, I sorted the problem. Assembly of all components was correct. Two (2) lessons learnt:

1) Using a Vizibleed (Made in the UK) One person Brake Bleeding Kit ( the one with the non-return valve) isn't good where the brake lines contain lots of air. You simply can't apply enough pressure to the air in the lines to open the non-return valve. Resorted to the simple two person open/close approach.

2) Despite the difficulty in accessing the rear bleed nipples, i needed to open them more (about one full turn) to allow the fluid to pass through in adequate volumes to carry the air with it.

When I have reason to drop the rear end, I'll certainly be adding bleed line extensions to each calliper to enable better under-car access to bleed them in the future. :P

#3

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:25 am
by MarekH
Dear Andrew,

I use a subtly remodelled spanner to bleed my rear brakes. Details are on the jag-lovers.org site.

kind regards
Marek

#4

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:46 am
by and.nox
Thanks for that - I'll check it out. What's the easiest way to search for it?