Replacing Crank Rear Main Seal

Talk about the E-Type Series 3
User avatar

Topic author
AussieEtype
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Australia

#1 Replacing Crank Rear Main Seal

Post by AussieEtype » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:56 am

I am pulling my gearbox out in a little while and in an ideal world I would like to replace the rear main crank seal on the engine.

So - i assume it is not possible to replace the rope seal with the crankshaft in place but what about a modern rubber double lipped oil seal - is there a modification that allows their installation and use without lowering the crankshaft or am I stuck with a drippy rope seal until I pull the engine for major lower end work or a rebuild.

Thanks

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Mountain King
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:22 pm

#2

Post by Mountain King » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 am

Not to my knowledge,
The crank normally needs to be modified, see RBR for more info,
http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/newpr ... html#12lip



Andy
1973 Series 3 OTC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
AussieEtype
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 am
Location: Canberra, Australia
Australia

#3

Post by AussieEtype » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:37 am

Thanks Andy - looks I stay with a drippy oil seal.

Cheers

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic