Page 1 of 1

#1 Issue with my windscreen

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 am
by MLBS3V12
Help!

The car has got a new top. I've tune the 2 doors and they can be closed with there window without problem.
I've buy a windscreen with the seal and I've tried 3 time to place the windscreen on the car. I've never been able to place it.
I cannot fix the seal on the upper corner. On the top, the opening of the car is too large. 5 mm larger then the windscreen.
I've decided to cut the old seal to better understand what happened.
Here a some pictures
On each side the windscreen does not follow the body :
Image

Do I have to retrim it?

Can someone confirm me the opening dimension on the car? Mine is 130cm length between the down lower corner and in the middle of the opening the height is 57.5com.

Michel

#2

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:32 am
by 1954Etype
Michel, don't cut the car. Looks like the screen is wrong. I can't help with measurements but if you refer to the Pilkington thread, l would contact Nick to see if they can confirm dimensions of the glass.

#3

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:29 am
by nefematic
Michel,
the glass looks used, it's not original to the car as you say. Why new roof and where was it connected and which measurements were used when welding. You say doors fit fine so maybe your roof isn't the problem so don't change it yet. Check the forum "pilkington" much has been written. You might have issues with both glass and body.
Martin

#4

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:47 am
by christopher storey
I am not sure that there is anything wrong with the screen size, although screen curvature being wrong is far from unknown ( I had to return 3 new screens for my FHC and never got one to fit) . You need to fit a new screen rubber to the car first , and then check the glass against that . Looking at your photo, once you do that it will lift the glass up considerably and it may then meet the seal satisfactorily at the top

#5 Re: Issue with my windscreen

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:52 pm
by PeterCrespin
MLBS3V12 wrote:Help!

The car has got a new top. I've tune the 2 doors and they can be closed with there window without problem.....I've buy a windscreen with the seal and I've tried 3 time to place.....
Sorry Michel, but if you are saying you welded on a new roof and after that bought the windscreen, then you have done it the wrong way round to have an easy life. I can't tell from the partial picture but Christopher has a good point.

Before you do anything else, it may be a good idea to get a professional windscreen fitter to try and install the screen as a test. If he cannot do it, he will at least be able to tell you what needs to change.

At least you didn't paint the car yet...

#6

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:31 pm
by 1954Etype
Ah, just understood that a new roof has been fitted? If so, check dimensions of aperture.

#7

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:22 pm
by MLBS3V12
Peter, I'll try to follow your proposition. Find someone who can do a test before saying that the windscreen I've is not the good one.
The problem will to be to find someone locally..

#8

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:12 pm
by PeterCrespin
Sadly, if the screen does not fit it may be your bodywork, if fitting a new roof means you cut the screen pillars...

Try to find a 'plant fitter' if you have trouble with a windscreen professional for your E (je ne sais pas comment dire 'plant' en francais). Plant fitters Re used to dealing with rubber-mounted rather than modern glued windscreens on tractors and road-making machines.

#9

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:25 pm
by ralphr1780
Michel, just for good order sake, did you first fit the rubber seal alone to the body?
When you try to mate the windscreen to the aperture, there is always a surprising difference because at the end it will sit proud of the frame at the bottom and in line with the frame at the top. I don't know if this clear enough for you.
Also have a look at this video:

#10

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:41 pm
by nefematic
Michel, looking at the picture again I wonder if the glas might not fit afterall. The top and top corner don't seem that far apart formwise, if the bottom is put further out and up. Try Ralph's suggestion and fit the rubber and trial fit the glas. Send new pic.
Martin

#11

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:32 pm
by MLBS3V12
Martin,
I can confirmed that the windscreen is a new on. It is a bit dirty because I've tried to place it on the car at least 3 times.
I've also tried as the link on youtube shows. I've first placed the seal on the body and then I've placed the windscreen in the seal. I will do this trial again and send pictures.
Like the link on youtube, I've also notice that 2 lower corners were a bit outside.
My concern is particularly the angle between the pilar and the windscreen.

#12

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:03 pm
by nefematic
Michel,
looking again at your first picture the rubber on top is not seated on the body flange, the bottom corner is too far towards the body. Bringing the bottom out and the top in will reduce the open space to the a-pillar a lot. There is wiggle room in and between the rubber as well, that will help too. Use sealant once the glas is in. Good luck!
Martin

#13

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:35 pm
by vee12eman
Hi Michel,

It's a long time since I fitted my screen, but from memory I fitted the seal to the screen first then dropped the whole thing into the aperture, then of course fitted in the time honoured fashion with thick string. You should see if it's going to fit or not once in the aperture with seal on.

I used the screen originally fitted when I bought the car, which was a Royal Doulton item rather than the original but I knew it did fit. It is of course possible your new screen is the wrong shape, there are a lot of people debating accuracy of currently available windscreens.

The point is that, as others have mentioned, it is difficult to hold the screen in exactly the right position without the seal, as it sort of "floats" within the aperture when actually fitted. With the seal fitted the unit is pretty much the same shape as the final conditions and thus should sit more or less closely on the flange to which it is eventually fitted. If the shape is way out at that check, then you have problems. However you may be surprised just how different the overall shape appears with the seal fitted to the screen, particularly how it sits in the aperture.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simon.