Water pump
#1 Water pump
Does anyone know if the internal parts of the water pump for the series 3 are the same for early and late types One well known distributor (SNG) could not tell me as the early type parts are not quoted as individual parts
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
Hi Flyer (!),
First of all, please could you include your name in future, we suggest you add your name plus the model/year of your car as a signature ? it?s a friendly forum that responds well to the personal touch.
I?m not quite sure if the internals are different between the two types. I do know that SNG can rebuild the early type provided you have one to give them, because that is how I got mine refurbished. Looking on eBay, the early pump repair kit is available as a nine piece kit, whilst the later type is only a seven piece kit and correspondingly cheaper. The difference appears to be minimal in that the earlier kit requires only extra screws and grub screw, but otherwise the parts appear similar. I seem to remember SNG telling me some time ago that the internals were basically the same, but no promises. It may be that someone else at SNG could answer your question; you didn't say which SNG outlet you contacted or who you spoke to there. If the information is vitally important to you, I could possibly ask Julian Barratt as I have his contact details, I'm sure he could tell us.
The eBay adverts are here (Early):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JAGUAR-WATER ... Swd4tUJZTr
and Here (Late type):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JAGUAR-WATER ... SwEK9UJZNN
Hope this will help,
Regards,
Simon
First of all, please could you include your name in future, we suggest you add your name plus the model/year of your car as a signature ? it?s a friendly forum that responds well to the personal touch.
I?m not quite sure if the internals are different between the two types. I do know that SNG can rebuild the early type provided you have one to give them, because that is how I got mine refurbished. Looking on eBay, the early pump repair kit is available as a nine piece kit, whilst the later type is only a seven piece kit and correspondingly cheaper. The difference appears to be minimal in that the earlier kit requires only extra screws and grub screw, but otherwise the parts appear similar. I seem to remember SNG telling me some time ago that the internals were basically the same, but no promises. It may be that someone else at SNG could answer your question; you didn't say which SNG outlet you contacted or who you spoke to there. If the information is vitally important to you, I could possibly ask Julian Barratt as I have his contact details, I'm sure he could tell us.
The eBay adverts are here (Early):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JAGUAR-WATER ... Swd4tUJZTr
and Here (Late type):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JAGUAR-WATER ... SwEK9UJZNN
Hope this will help,
Regards,
Simon
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Hi Simon,
Tried adding a photo, not sure if it's worked or not !!
Thanks for the info I found it very helpful. I'm pretty sure now that they are the same only a screw difference. Of course these guys, SNG and the like, aren't engineers and they can only go from a book.
Bob
Tried adding a photo, not sure if it's worked or not !!
Thanks for the info I found it very helpful. I'm pretty sure now that they are the same only a screw difference. Of course these guys, SNG and the like, aren't engineers and they can only go from a book.
Bob
Bob.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Hi Bob,
Glad to be of help, Actually SNG in particular are normally very helpful and enthusiastic, I was a little surprised they couldn't answer your question. They actually manufacture a lot of their parts and, as such could quite feasibly answer your question, if only you get the right person. Perhaps an email to them might help in future, but don't give up on asking them.
I will point out that I have no affiliation, I used to live nearby before migration, that's my only link, but I have always found them helpful.
Anyway, please stick around and ask questions, we will try to help where we can. I don't think your picture worked, I think you were trying to add an avatar - try here for instructions:
viewtopic.php?t=904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
If you want to post pictures in text, here are those instructions:
viewtopic.php?t=1666
It means using a hosting site, which some find a little awkward, but works well. I only set up my account with Photobucket for this forum and have since used it to share pictures with others.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope we have and will continue to help in future,
Regards,
Simon
Glad to be of help, Actually SNG in particular are normally very helpful and enthusiastic, I was a little surprised they couldn't answer your question. They actually manufacture a lot of their parts and, as such could quite feasibly answer your question, if only you get the right person. Perhaps an email to them might help in future, but don't give up on asking them.
I will point out that I have no affiliation, I used to live nearby before migration, that's my only link, but I have always found them helpful.
Anyway, please stick around and ask questions, we will try to help where we can. I don't think your picture worked, I think you were trying to add an avatar - try here for instructions:
viewtopic.php?t=904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
If you want to post pictures in text, here are those instructions:
viewtopic.php?t=1666
It means using a hosting site, which some find a little awkward, but works well. I only set up my account with Photobucket for this forum and have since used it to share pictures with others.
Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope we have and will continue to help in future,
Regards,
Simon
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#5
Said the actress to the archbishop's mum... :-)flyer295 wrote: Thanks for the info....they are the same only a screw difference....
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
Hi Simon,
I bought all the innards of the late series pump from SNG and NO they aren't the same.
There are small differences in the seal dia and bearing length. I've sent them back and am forced to go down another route. There's a guy who advertises on E-bay that will do them for ?145 + postage as an exchange. do you know anything about him?
Bob
I bought all the innards of the late series pump from SNG and NO they aren't the same.
There are small differences in the seal dia and bearing length. I've sent them back and am forced to go down another route. There's a guy who advertises on E-bay that will do them for ?145 + postage as an exchange. do you know anything about him?
Bob
Bob.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
Hi Bob,
Thanks for telling us about this, sorry you found out the hard way. All I know for certain is that SNG rebuilt my pump some years ago and that there are adverts on eBay for rebuild kits which I posted originally. They are US based I believe. I'll see if I still have the receipt from SNG but it must have been nearly 10 years ago now.
If you do get a result, please share the details as this is one of the areas that can cause issues for Series 3 cars and we could do with increased knowledge about it.
I'll see what I can find out from here.
Regards,
Simon
Thanks for telling us about this, sorry you found out the hard way. All I know for certain is that SNG rebuilt my pump some years ago and that there are adverts on eBay for rebuild kits which I posted originally. They are US based I believe. I'll see if I still have the receipt from SNG but it must have been nearly 10 years ago now.
If you do get a result, please share the details as this is one of the areas that can cause issues for Series 3 cars and we could do with increased knowledge about it.
I'll see what I can find out from here.
Regards,
Simon
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
Hi again,
A quick update, My pump was rebuilt by SNG in 2005, for about ?146. I took my original in and picked it up repaired some days later. Part number was shown on the receipt as C39768R, with the early number also shown (12838) on the receipt.
Don't know whether this helps, but it might. I will ask SNG what they do in case I ever need this again and I know several owners of early V12s who would be interested. I'll post any info I get back.
Regards,
Simon
A quick update, My pump was rebuilt by SNG in 2005, for about ?146. I took my original in and picked it up repaired some days later. Part number was shown on the receipt as C39768R, with the early number also shown (12838) on the receipt.
Don't know whether this helps, but it might. I will ask SNG what they do in case I ever need this again and I know several owners of early V12s who would be interested. I'll post any info I get back.
Regards,
Simon
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9
Hi Bob and all,
As promised I asked Julian Barratt at SNG for a clarification of their offering regarding the Early Series 3 V12 water pump. I received an answer this morning, which went something like this:
"Hi Simon,
Early pump (C39768) ? this is ONLY available as a reconditioned item and we would have to recondition the customers own unit, but we can do this and the price would be ?147.93 and the delay would be a couple of weeks.
Late pump (C34549) ? this is available either new or reconditioned and either with or without the pulley so there are a range of options on this.
You are right that the C34549CONV is a conversion from early type to late and is the only option if you had an early pump and now have nothing. It is somewhat pricey but does include pump, pulley, pipes, thermostat housing etc. so its quite a lot.
Our website doesn?t currently feature a system to advise that an item is only available to recondition the customers old unit ? but it is in the pipeline. In the meantime, I will see if we can make the whole area a little easier to understand online."
I hope this clarifies what is on offer (from SNG at least) and enables others to recondition their rare early V12 water pump. I stress that I have no affiliation with SNG other than being a well satisfied customer over many years. Other companies do offer these pumps on their website but I have no idea exactly what their service would involve, several do not list a price but say "contact us".
To add, I had my own water pump reconditioned by SNG; I had to remove and fit the pulley myself. I had the advantage that I lived near to SNG Bridgnorth at the time so dropping off and picking up were easy and effectively free given that I was going there to buy other stuff too. This was in 2005; the car has been on the road since 2011. I'm not sure whether the price quoted by Julian includes VAT or not.
Regards,
Simon
As promised I asked Julian Barratt at SNG for a clarification of their offering regarding the Early Series 3 V12 water pump. I received an answer this morning, which went something like this:
"Hi Simon,
Early pump (C39768) ? this is ONLY available as a reconditioned item and we would have to recondition the customers own unit, but we can do this and the price would be ?147.93 and the delay would be a couple of weeks.
Late pump (C34549) ? this is available either new or reconditioned and either with or without the pulley so there are a range of options on this.
You are right that the C34549CONV is a conversion from early type to late and is the only option if you had an early pump and now have nothing. It is somewhat pricey but does include pump, pulley, pipes, thermostat housing etc. so its quite a lot.
Our website doesn?t currently feature a system to advise that an item is only available to recondition the customers old unit ? but it is in the pipeline. In the meantime, I will see if we can make the whole area a little easier to understand online."
I hope this clarifies what is on offer (from SNG at least) and enables others to recondition their rare early V12 water pump. I stress that I have no affiliation with SNG other than being a well satisfied customer over many years. Other companies do offer these pumps on their website but I have no idea exactly what their service would involve, several do not list a price but say "contact us".
To add, I had my own water pump reconditioned by SNG; I had to remove and fit the pulley myself. I had the advantage that I lived near to SNG Bridgnorth at the time so dropping off and picking up were easy and effectively free given that I was going there to buy other stuff too. This was in 2005; the car has been on the road since 2011. I'm not sure whether the price quoted by Julian includes VAT or not.
Regards,
Simon
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10
Hi all,
Can I ask why you were getting your pumps rebuilt?
Since I had the cooling issue with mine I'm wondering if the impeller corrodes and the pump loses pumping efficiency?
Richard
Can I ask why you were getting your pumps rebuilt?
Since I had the cooling issue with mine I'm wondering if the impeller corrodes and the pump loses pumping efficiency?
Richard
Richard
____________
1972 S3 2+2 - Black with Red leather, 4 Speed and Wires
1966 S Type 3.8 MOD - ex South Africa
1994 XJS V12 coupe - 59,000 miles
____________
1972 S3 2+2 - Black with Red leather, 4 Speed and Wires
1966 S Type 3.8 MOD - ex South Africa
1994 XJS V12 coupe - 59,000 miles
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11
Running the engine without a thermostat (two in the case of the V12) causes cavitation in the pump. This is because the thermostats put back pressure on the system flow which in turn prevents cavitation at normal engine speeds.

It seems a fair number of cars imported from the US have been run without a thermostat and, based on an earlier post, quite a few V12's only have one of the two thermostats installed.

It seems a fair number of cars imported from the US have been run without a thermostat and, based on an earlier post, quite a few V12's only have one of the two thermostats installed.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




