Kickdown solenoid connector access

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
goodoldgrandad
Great Britain

#1 Kickdown solenoid connector access

Post by goodoldgrandad » Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 am

I am trying to access the kickdown solenoid connector on the side of the auto transmission box on a series 3 V12. It appears that the O ring seal on it is leaking oil and dribbling down to the oil pan. It's on the driver side, but from below you can't actually see where it goes into the gearbox side (I can just see the end of the connector wire which attaches to it). Anyone know a simple way to check and replace this O ring seal without taking the gearbox out or oil sump apart? Also there is a breather pipe connection above the kickdown connector, and how do you get to that if you need to tighten it's jubilee clip or replace the pipe/connector !!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
goodoldgrandad
Great Britain

Post by goodoldgrandad » Tue May 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Managed to take out a large grommet under the carpet in the driver's foot well, through which you can see the kickdown connector on the side of the auto transmission gearbox case, with it's electrical connector wire up to the engine bay. Yes it is leaking, but access through the small access hole is going to be difficult (and looks impossible from below the car). Can't see if its leaking out of the top of the connector plastic top or at the base of the stud going into the case casting. I'm told there is an O-ring seal somewhere in the "connector joint" that often leaks, but which part and how's it assembled to get it apart is a mystery to me.

Has anyone any experience please of taking the kickdown connector apart and replacing the O ring seal? Does it unscrew, does the plastic cap pull off ? Clearly the oil sump needs to be drained first (at least so the oil is below the level of the connector).

Know-how and advice greatly appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

Post by Bob. » Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm

I am sure some one with experience will be along soon but looking at the parts diagram in the Forum Knowledge Base it looks as if the connector locates into the gearbox housing via 3 petals suggesting it just pushes in. The O ring is shown but is out of position. What isn't known is how much wire there is on the inside of the box between the connector and the solenoid to allow the connector to be withdrawn, disconnected and a new O ring fitted.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
goodoldgrandad
Great Britain

Post by goodoldgrandad » Wed May 04, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Looked at the parts diagram and decided with the shape of the connector petals (which would lock inside the case) then the sump had to come off. Drained the oil, removed the sump, and the offending kickdown connector is clear to see. I found that by using a 7/16" ring spanner from inside I could push it around the connector to squeeze in the locking petals - and the whole connector pushed outwards. Once it was out it is clear that the O ring (which sits mid way along the connector) had gone hard and out of shape. So for the sake of a 12p O ring you need patience, time, a new sump gasket, and oil !!

Here are some photos that might help others wanting to do this - as I suspect this O ring is the cause of many auto transmission oil leaks. Check this first BEFORE you think the oil drips forming on the sump are from a leaking gasket.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bob.
Great Britain

Post by Bob. » Wed May 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Glad it went well and thanks for documenting the process. I and other auto users might find that very usefull one day.
Bob
'71 S3

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rui
Portugal

#6 Re: Kickdown solenoid connector access

Post by Rui » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Thank you Bob and 'goodoldgranddad', i went through the same saga and thanks to this thread and the photos I managed to replace the kickdown wire o-ring, redress the sump flanges and install a new gasket.

All should be ok but i now realised that it leaks from the selector shaft. Have you tried to change the o-ring of the selector shaft with the gearbox in place ?

Any pointers appreciated, thanks.

Rui

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossco_j
Australia

#7 Re: Kickdown solenoid connector access

Post by rossco_j » Fri May 24, 2019 5:46 am

Great work 'goodoldgranddad'. Good photos with excellent details.
Thanks
Ross
1972 Series 3 E Type 2+2
1972 MGB GT
1965 Mini Cooper
https://rossjohnsonphotography.zenfolio.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic