#1 SIII unsure of what to advise
Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:37 pm
Went along to help a local guy with an SIII, engine already out, the aim was to take the front suspension off. tbh I didn't even notice that it was an SIII when we were emailing back and forth, so I arrived expecting to see an SI with which I am quite familiar with.
We got right to the bit where JD43 comes in and stopped as I have no experience of how much tension is wound into the TB when the uprights are off and the lower arm is hanging free. The steering B/J were bugger me difficult to get off with a clamp style joint popper, and the bottom B/Js are still in as we decided to give it a week for the penetrating oil to work after about 2 hours of clamping, swearing, hammering, heating with propane didn't impress them in the least. We tried two variations of German, Italian, Slovenian, Bosnian as well as English, but they just weren't listening.
So...
Just how much tension is left in the TB when the lower arm and cam are hung out of the way? Do I need to replace the inboard bolts with a tapered punch before I remove the outboard ones and let the bracket down with a jack? Is the outboard end of the bracket going to be 1" below the floor when the tension is off and the bracket is unbolted, more, less?
Have I understood the shop manual incorrectly, as I read it they seem to be describing the JD43 use as increasing the moment of preload rather than compensating for it. I read it as adding a splined drop arm to the back of the splines, then move the lower end to the middle of the car, that would make it worse, not better!
The body seems to be pretty sound, bitumen and undercoating are still on, but the floors and sills look ok from the outside. One of the questions was if the floors need patching, or whole replacement - I said it looked like a couple of locations with flat areas smaller than a dollar bill, which would mean patching for me, but that we'd need to have a good look inside the sills with a usb camera and get the undercoating and bitumen off before being able to say with any certainty. For the moment it looks like we can leave the frames on, and won't need a rotisserie.
The RHS frame has been replaced (red undercoat, matt grey paint, LHS is in original Silver) and the picture frame has also been replaced, Picture frame is a bit bashed up at the bottom and seems to have been welded on the left lower corner while still attached to the left frame. I had a cursory look at the frames, they seem undamaged, I would prefer to be able to say "Leave them on, have them blasted and we can look at them from the front with a camera, and use crack detection spray on the outside." Am I being wildly optimistic? There is no sign of repairs or fretting at the firewall which makes me wonder why the RHS needed replacing.
The car sat in a covered barn for about 15 years, so it was only exposed to atmospheric moisture. So far I've had the luxury of working on either completely rust free, or Fred Flintstone cars, so I'm having trouble figuring out what is "enough" to do the job sufficiently.
Andrew
We got right to the bit where JD43 comes in and stopped as I have no experience of how much tension is wound into the TB when the uprights are off and the lower arm is hanging free. The steering B/J were bugger me difficult to get off with a clamp style joint popper, and the bottom B/Js are still in as we decided to give it a week for the penetrating oil to work after about 2 hours of clamping, swearing, hammering, heating with propane didn't impress them in the least. We tried two variations of German, Italian, Slovenian, Bosnian as well as English, but they just weren't listening.
So...
Just how much tension is left in the TB when the lower arm and cam are hung out of the way? Do I need to replace the inboard bolts with a tapered punch before I remove the outboard ones and let the bracket down with a jack? Is the outboard end of the bracket going to be 1" below the floor when the tension is off and the bracket is unbolted, more, less?
Have I understood the shop manual incorrectly, as I read it they seem to be describing the JD43 use as increasing the moment of preload rather than compensating for it. I read it as adding a splined drop arm to the back of the splines, then move the lower end to the middle of the car, that would make it worse, not better!
The body seems to be pretty sound, bitumen and undercoating are still on, but the floors and sills look ok from the outside. One of the questions was if the floors need patching, or whole replacement - I said it looked like a couple of locations with flat areas smaller than a dollar bill, which would mean patching for me, but that we'd need to have a good look inside the sills with a usb camera and get the undercoating and bitumen off before being able to say with any certainty. For the moment it looks like we can leave the frames on, and won't need a rotisserie.
The RHS frame has been replaced (red undercoat, matt grey paint, LHS is in original Silver) and the picture frame has also been replaced, Picture frame is a bit bashed up at the bottom and seems to have been welded on the left lower corner while still attached to the left frame. I had a cursory look at the frames, they seem undamaged, I would prefer to be able to say "Leave them on, have them blasted and we can look at them from the front with a camera, and use crack detection spray on the outside." Am I being wildly optimistic? There is no sign of repairs or fretting at the firewall which makes me wonder why the RHS needed replacing.
The car sat in a covered barn for about 15 years, so it was only exposed to atmospheric moisture. So far I've had the luxury of working on either completely rust free, or Fred Flintstone cars, so I'm having trouble figuring out what is "enough" to do the job sufficiently.
Andrew