“Hi can anyone help.
Re Jaguar series 3 v12 Etype 2+2 1972
Do you know which way the conrod faces, mine has a chamfer on the big end eye. In the workshop manual, it says that the chamfer on big end eye faces crank pin radius. Any ideas?”
Conrod crank pin radius
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#2 Re: Conrod crank pin radius
Ideas? Tempting....
The rods mount in pairs and rub against each other on their inner cheeks, which requires lubrication. Meanwhile, the wide crankpins are radiused where they blend with the crank cheeks, like all crankshafts except pressed-together versions.
So the non-chamfered sides have two clear grooves just like crank thrust washers for big end oil to lubricate the rubbing contact and the chamfered sides clear the crankpin radii to avoid gouging the crank.
So in your shoes I'd believe what I saw for myself and read in the manual. I'd believe the rest of the manual as well, but that's just me...
The rods mount in pairs and rub against each other on their inner cheeks, which requires lubrication. Meanwhile, the wide crankpins are radiused where they blend with the crank cheeks, like all crankshafts except pressed-together versions.
So the non-chamfered sides have two clear grooves just like crank thrust washers for big end oil to lubricate the rubbing contact and the chamfered sides clear the crankpin radii to avoid gouging the crank.
So in your shoes I'd believe what I saw for myself and read in the manual. I'd believe the rest of the manual as well, but that's just me...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Re: Conrod crank pin radius
Ok Peter that was my thinking, many thanks for your reply I very much apricate you taking the time to help me.
Best David
Best David
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



