Header Tank Question

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
Eric Capron
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: Shropshire
Contact:
Great Britain

#1 Header Tank Question

Post by Eric Capron » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:49 pm

I have finally acquired a radiator header tank for my car which is a right hand drive UK car and never had one in my ownership. I know that on RHD cars the tank is spaced off the bulkhead to clear the accelerator linkage but I don't have any of the mounting hardware and I have to turn up some spacers on my lathe. (I do have the correct bracket). Please could someone with a RHD car measure how long the spacers are and let me know.

Thanks

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9235
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2

Post by mgcjag » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Eric.....Iv just purchased a S2 2+2 ( my first Jag) & the header tank is on the passenger side away from the throttle linkage so I assume that you have the FHC...However I see that you are based in Shropshire...Im near Leominster & Ludlow at the weekends .If your interested in meeting up sometime (or anyone else in the area) it would be good to talk about the cars...Steve Tel 0797 495 2877

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Eric Capron
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: Shropshire
Contact:
Great Britain

#3

Post by Eric Capron » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. I have an OTS S2 and I am confused. I thought that the tank was fitted on the same side as the steering wheel and did not depend on the body style. The reason I believed this is because the factory parts manual lists different setscrews for the bracket mounting for RHD & LHD cars without differentiating body style. The setscrews for the RHD cars are 1/2" longer than for the LHD cars and RHD cars additionally have three distances pieces (BD.18597/1) to space the bracket off the bulkhead.

However, Philip Porter's book shows all three body styles for S2 in RHD; the FHC & OTS have the tank on the right whereas the 2+2 has it on the left as it is on your car. This is at variance with the parts manual but this happens sometimes. It may be that the bulkhead is different on the 2+2 due to the extended length of the vehicle.

On my car the windscreen washer bottle is mounted on the left hand side of the bulkhead so I assume that it is in a diffent place on yours.

By the way, since no one has come up with an answer to the question I have experimented and found that about 5/8" for the spacers works quite well.

Finally, I live in Church Stretton, not far from you. You might also be interested in knowing that the JEC Shropshire and Welsh Borders region meets in Shrewsbury on the second Tuesday of each month ie tomorrow!

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

chrisvine
Posts: 364
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: Windsor
Contact:
Great Britain

#4

Post by chrisvine » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Eric,

I suspect you've got it sorted by now but I've measured the spacers and the dimensions are:

length = 19/32" (so 5/8" was close)
external diam = 3/8"
internal diam = 7/32"

Chris
1969 S2 OTS, Elise S1

Restoration Blog : http://etype.chrisvine.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Eric Capron
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Location: Shropshire
Contact:
Great Britain

#5

Post by Eric Capron » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Chris,

Thank you for the dimensions. Much appreciated. The tank is fitted and doesn't foul on anything but I will make some more spacers because I am way off with the external diameter (too thin).

Before fitting the expansion tank I was putting in water every time I drove the car but now I don't have to. That's one job out of the way but there is always something to fix. Why are the windows so stiff; why does the alternator seem to overcharge; why is there so much wind noise with the hood up and many more? The thrills of driving a 40 year old car!

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic