New member UK

Introduce yourself and find help on using our Forum.

Topic author
TerryGK
Great Britain

#1 New member UK

Post by TerryGK » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:29 am

Hi Everyone, first confession I don't own yet but joined in anticipation and to learn. Have bought both Essential buyers guide as first step. I own a few silly cars and a few more silly motorbikes but like many have always lusted over the E type from being a small boy. I love the early series but actually also have a soft spot for the series 3 as my Uncle had a new one in the early 70's. Aside from all of the obvious differences I'm interested in being able to fit, I'm 'only' 6ft but I see words of caution around the early series. I plan to attend an event and perhaps cajole/bribe an owner into letting me try fitting in one

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: New member UK

Post by mgcjag » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 am

Hi Welcom to the forum...im sure you will find it very usefull.....there are plenty of dealers about....why not visit a few to look over their cars...see how you fit in them and get a feel for whats on offer....you never know you may find one you want to buy....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#3 Re: New member UK

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Terry, welcome to the best place for all things E Type. There are quite a few events this year celebrating 60 years, they should give you a good chance to see lots of different cars and see which you really like.
Do you just want to buy a driver or are you happy to do some work? Maybe not a full restoration but with most E Types going to the US then a repatriated LHD car could work for you. A driver that over a winter you could convert to RHD. Or even keep LHD if you’re into touring in Europe.
Rust is your biggest enemy, so a really good check of any car is very important and taking a reputable and knowledgeable person with you (a professional restorer) when viewing is sound advice.

Good luck with finding the car that fits your wishes and budget.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#4 Re: New member UK

Post by malcolm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm quite tall (6ft 1in) and had a problem with some. Settled for a series2 2+2 which gave me the room i needed.
Good luck with the search
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gehawe
Germany

#5 Re: New member UK

Post by gehawe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:46 am

Hello Terry,
As I am above 6'3", I did not even try a series 1. With my series 3, I had the seat rails set further back and now I can do a left turn, operate the clutch and set the blinker to the left at the same time ..... bearely ...
And still, I can't wear a normal baseball cap above 120km/h.

So your idea for a series 3 seems adequate.

A fried of mine (just short of 6') was always dreaming of an E-Type. He drove an early series 1 flat floor and was very disappointed. He never thought about an E-Type afterwards again, until he saw mine.

Best regards

Gerhard
Home of the Blue Lucy - Series 3 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#6 Re: New member UK

Post by malcolm » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:50 am

Series 3 or series 2 2+2 have the same wheelbase and I believe same room inside.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#7 Re: New member UK

Post by H7OB » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Welcome and good luck in your search.
I’m 6’ and a bit and fit fine into my S1 2+2 once in.
You just have to thread your left leg under the large diameter steering wheel first!
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: New member UK

Post by Gfhug » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:44 pm

5’ 11 1/2” and fit a Series 2 FHC (not 2+2) with the upgrade to MX5 seats gaining a bit of extra headroom.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#9 Re: New member UK

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon May 10, 2021 7:52 pm

I'm 6' and fit into my 1961 S1 3.8 without a problem.
The only headroom issue I had was self inflicted. This was after I fitted converted MX5 seats from CMC. They raised my eye level to the top of the windscreen but still allowed me to drive with the top up. I've since removed some of the padding from the squabs and my eye level is now 2 inches below the top of the screen.
I wouldn't dismiss the S1.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#10 Re: New member UK

Post by JulianBarratt » Tue May 11, 2021 7:14 am

Hi Terry,
I am 6ft1 and i regularly drive our series 1 4.2 car - this is a roadster with a hardtop fitted so is possibly the least forgiving format of the 4.2 cars. There is definitely a "technique" for getting in and out but once you have mastered that its straightforward.
We will be bringing this car to lot of the events over the summer - JDC E type Day, E60, JEC event at Bicester so you would be more than welcome to try getting in and out.
A 2+2 car or a Series 3 is a little easier but definitely dont dismiss the 6 cylinder SWB cars.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic