Hard tops

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Topic author
Sarthe72
Great Britain

#1 Hard tops

Post by Sarthe72 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:52 am

Sitting ruminating at my computer the other day, the rain pouring down outside, I got to thinking whether a run of these would sell if available.

Ashley made one as well but I have never seen either in the flesh. But I would buy one like a shot if I found one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Hard tops

Post by Heuer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 am

There was a green painted one on eBay a few years ago. Here is most of what we know about after market hardtops: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6042
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sarthe72
Great Britain

#3 Re: Hard tops

Post by Sarthe72 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:51 am

Well, three years on from my original post, a W&P Sebring hard top turned up on Ebay and I am now the proud owner. In bits and primered, but all there including the rear window and rubber seal, plus the little side windows. More anon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Hard tops

Post by Heuer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:15 pm

Wow, well done. Look forward to seeing some photos and of it mounted to your car. Always wondered how it mounted to the body and litle things like does it mean you have two filler flaps and a filler cap?
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sarthe72
Great Britain

#5 Re: Hard tops

Post by Sarthe72 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:44 pm

Things I have pondered many times! My impression is that we have the three latches on the screen rail, two bolts where the soft top hinges, and one will use the boot latch. I could be way out of course. The boot lid will have to come off and possibly the soft top, and I would imagine that the fuel flap will be put aside too, leaving only the hard top flap and the filler cap. Another conundrum is what colour to paint it, and first I thought of OE White but it is rather long and goes right back to the tail, so probably gunmetal like the car. Otherwise we might have a Starsky and Hutch kind of effect. Trim? Probably off-white for the roof with some sound deadening built in. But many of you are more expert than I on things, so all suggestions very welcome.

My idea is that if it is ready in time for the 100th anniversary in May, I'll get it fitted and go to the event to let people have a look at it. I had a long chat with the son of the vendor this morning, and apparently his father sold the E-type, a 1965 car, in the 80's but had kept the dismantled hard top in the garage ever since. it is in primer and all the parts seem to be there, so hopefully no serious problems. I have promised the vendor photos of the progress and the finished article, and I will also post the photos here if that is alright.

This century I have been without a project for but four years,and I am thinking that this should be my last now. Engine rebuilds, buying cars and selling one, building the C-type, converting the Lynx short nose into an XKSS, E-type rebuild, the XK100 engine and now this. Time to enjoy the cars and research less!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Hard tops

Post by Heuer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:13 pm

Post as many photos as you want, all will be appreciated. For the roof lining you might want to consider the one used for the Factory hardtop as it is available. Only colour option IMHO would be the same as your car otherwise it will look like a carbunckle!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SESH
Great Britain

#7 Re: Hard tops

Post by SESH » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:27 pm

David,
Do you know if the original headlining is still available for the series 3 hardtop. My one is in need of re-furbing and currently has a dog toothed type pattern on it. Not sure if it's the original or not. I have found out from the first owner that the hardtop came with the car when it was new.
Any ideas where it can be bought?
Thanks
Mike
1973 Jaguar E Type Series 3 OTS Signal Red
1968 Proteus Jaguar C Type Ecurie Ecosse Flag Blue
1963 Triumph TR4 Signal Red
2020 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Sarthe72
Great Britain

#8 Re: Hard tops

Post by Sarthe72 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am

Given the completely different shape of the hard top I would imagine that a factory head lining would not fit properly. There are the rear buttresses to do as well, but we are already on the case! The hard top, as you suggest, will, on reflection be gunmetal and the roof lining probably white, since I think black would make it rather gloomy inside.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: Hard tops

Post by Heuer » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:13 am

The hardtop lining is sold by the metre. IMHO white will not be a good choice as it will very quickly discolour or become marked (fingerprints, flies/dust with window open etc). Maybe you should consider the hardtop converts your car into a FHC and look at the headlining colours available for those? Beige or pale grey would work or even the colour already used in your soft top lining meaning it won't be a shock to the senses when converting over!

Originally Jaguar used French Grey headlining on its saloons but that is no longer available. You need to discuss what is available with your trimmer. Give Mick Turley at MCT or one of the other vendors a call and get their views.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic