Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Talk about the E-Type Series 1

Robsan
Great Britain

#21 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Robsan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:05 pm

:yeahthat:

I agree. had my dooubts originally.......... but you have soldiered on .................. to unmarked territories. very impressed with exposing the seams. Well done that man :-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#22 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:52 am

Updated post- Trial fit looks pretty good. and got away without damaging the surrounding paintwork.
I want to remove them for attaching the flanges but also want to tack the bottom lip of the 2 pieces together to stop water ingress but without closing the gap up. I may slide in a strip of metal to substitute for the fixing clips.
Thanks for the support and comments. Makes it a less solitary pastime
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#23 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi Ed,
Not sure if this of any help. Took some pics yesterday that may be of interest . ( My part time job is restoring E-Types, currently working on four ) Appears to be a tab that just presses against the sugar scoop. There is no right angle lip under it. The scoop also seems to rest on the flange of the section you just cut out for the new chrome trim. This is the right side of a a 66 OTS
Cheers,
Keith

1967 S1.25 OTS, 1952 MG TD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#24 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Geoff Allam » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:25 pm

That is interesting. Do you find the same tab on all 4 cars? My car had no support bracket at all but had been through a front end accident and repair. I found a rectangular paint shadow on the sugar scoop in the same location as the L bracket shown in the picture I posted earlier. (Picture sent to me by a person with an pretty original 3.8). Possibly the support mechanism changed as production went on?
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#25 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 pm

Updates on attaching the left side covered headlight flanges:
Mix of tacks and using the original rivet holes.
I was going to tack and then offer up the chrome surround before riveting but once the flanges were cut to fit and offered up there was pretty limited movement possible so just went for it.
I closed the gaps at the top and bottom hoping it will make them a bit more water tight. If the wing needed to come off its only 10 secs work with a cutting disc to slice them apart again.

Dressed down the welds. Checked the marks for the holes about 4 times then drilled them
The plexi is very flexible so no dramas tightening down the screws
Trial fitted the headlight panel panel and wanted to fit the sugar scoop but timed out
I have fitted captive bolts to the panel for the sugar scoop (so I could move them around to get the best fit but I don't think there is enough clearance to slide the scoop in and clear the bolts.
Last edited by eddiecross on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#26 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:26 pm

Thanks for the information Keith. That will come in useful for offering up the sugar scoops
I have the plexi lenses from Moncoque and looking good to fit the chrome bezels, even with the so-so repro rubber seals. The flexi fit is pretty loose as much thinner than the glass ones. I may need sealer.
Not sure if new ones would fit better as not stretched by the glass lenses.
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#27 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:48 pm

Offering up the headlight panel and trial fitting the sugar scoops.
Really struggling getting the scoops to fit with no gaps at the front.
The scoops have captive nuts welded on the three tabs. Just not working
I'll post images of the fixings later
All suggestions more than welcome.

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robsan
Great Britain

#28 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Robsan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:28 pm

I have the conversion set but havent got to fitting it on the car !! I have attempted to fit [ bolt] the sugar scoops to the headlamp diaphragms using the welded captive nuts.
On both sides only two bolts really line up, and getting the third to line up is, either really really difficult [ and not really right]. and the other side the third hole doesnt really align at all ?? A mystery in the Quality dept perhaps ???

have you just checked for three hole aliagnment from scoop to diaphragm ?

doesnt the scoop to bonnet gap have a rubber sleeve or something that allows for a bit of tolerance in that interface ??

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#29 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Geoff Allam » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:29 am

This is the page from the series 1 parts catalogue pertaining to the sugar scoops. You will notice that there are distance pieces listed as well as extra nuts. The scoops require shimming to fit. Chuck has a write up somewhere about how they fit but I am unable to find it. I would suggest that you call or email him to get the correct procedure to fill in that gap. He is always very helpful that way.
Geoff Allam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#30 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by Geoff Allam » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:30 am

Geoff Allam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#31 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:52 pm

Thanks people.
I have got it pretty close now. Down to about 1/2" gap at the very front. Sides now fine
I am using 10/32 bolts 1 1/4" long:
One each side of the back of the scoop fixed into captive nuts on the scoop
One bolt in the centre fixed to the headlight panel with a nylon insert nut so it can rotate and engage with the middle captive nut in the scoop.

This allows me to move the scoop back and forth on the centre bolt with a socket to close the gap at the front (sides are fine)

Now gone to 2" 10/32 bolts in the middle to hopefully close the remaining 1/2" gap.

I'll press on with this method and check out Chucks site if I am still getting issues.

Regards
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#32 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi Ed,
Its looking good.
I am taking notes. Thanks for trouble shooting problems I will soon encounter and the great pics too. What paint did you use on the scoops?
Regards,
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#33 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi there Keith,
I can't take any credit for that. Courtesy of a previous owner I picked them up from.

I think they should also have a drain hole at the rear by the centre fixing. Image I found...

All the best
Eddie
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#34 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:49 pm

Now got the scoop in the correct position.
I attached 10/32 2" long bolts to the 3 fixings as there were already captive nuts fixed to the back of the scoop.
For the centre bolt, I added a nut and washer about 1" from the scoop flange to lock the scoop in place.
Landed it about right as there was previously a gap at the front- need a 2" bolt to get the scoop far enough forward.
Was then able to centre the scoop by tightening the other 2 bolts from behind the diaphram panel.

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#35 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:56 pm

Hi Ed ,
Thanks again for posting. Are you using spacers on the sugar scoop bolts or double nuting them ( or both )
Here is where I am to date. Still waiting on parts, they appear to be " covid delayed"
Cheers,
Keith

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#36 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi there Keith great to hear from you. Let me know if I can help with pars/suppliers from here
Really simple in the end.
3x 10/32 2" long bolts in each of the 3 holes in the sugar scoop (which have captive nuts fixed to them) with the threads facing the headlight panel.

On the centre bolt I threaded a nut+penny washer about 3/4-1" away from the scoop (could use a spacer instead).
On the other two bolts I left without any spacers or nuts as you can put them in tension from side to side to centre the scoop.

Dropped in the scoop and I got lucky as the centre bolt spacing was bang on and the long threads made locating the three holes easier than with the shorter bolts.

The 1st couple of times fitting and removing the scoop is really tricky but by the 20th attempt you get the hang of it!

Am working on the passenger side scoop now. A couple of the bonded supports were loose so they are off and cleaned awaiting refixing. Some usual aweful filler repairs under the bonnet but only surface rust.

FRONT RIGHT HAND SIDE COVERED HEADLAMP INSTALL starts here!

Notes:
Overview- I decided to commence marking and drilling the chrome bezel fixing holes as the 1st step, followed by the flange positioning and fixing.

Align chrome bezel- bend to shape and mark outline and holes. The top 2 holes will probably have no metal to mark to- add a tab with masking tape.

Drill lower holes- use a smaller drill and screws than the final ones.

Trial fit the bezel and check the position of the top holes- mine needed to be further apart and the bezel stretched, otherwise the holes would have been right on the flange step. Chuck has the curves 100% right on the flanges - the RH bezels needed stretching slightly width wise to be on the correct side of the flange.

Trim the new flanges to fit. I decided to join them at top and bottom so trimmed them so they overlapped. Top join helped close the wing gap

The top inner and outer flanges needed to be pulled out so the step was about 1/4" out at the top on mine.
This allowed drilling holes for the bezel that are on the outside of the step

Tack weld in a couple of places for trial fitting. Drill the 2 holes at the top. Again using smaller screws than final ones in case you need to move anything

As long as the bezel fits correctly and covers the rivet holes from the old headlamp scoop you should be ok.

I am using the plastic lenses which have plenty of give.

I used tack welds all round at about 2" centres with tape and soaked rags to protect the paint. I could have added pop rivets but the flanges were secure and tight to the panels on the inside edges (fit is spot on) .
Also, the scoop did catch on them at the front when I fitted the drivers side scoop.

Last edited by eddiecross on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#37 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:21 am

Update on installing the headlight panel.
The two bonded brackets broke off
Derusted and painted them
Bolted brackets loosely to the headlight panel and offered up.
Some minor trimming of the headlight panel required.
Once I got the lower (bonnet hinge panel) and inner wing screws home, I bolted up the brackets tight to the headlight panel
I cheated and put a couple of tack welds on: Bonnet hinge panel to lower valance and Top left tab on the inner wing that the upper headlight panel bolts to.

Pulled out the headlight panel and cleaned all the faces that the panel bolts too with metal prep then a light coat of POR15

Plan is to put a light coat of Sika adhesive on the two brackets (top and side), offer up and screw/bolt up all fixings on the inner wing/bonnet hinge panel. Then hit the brackets with more adhesive in the gaps with the wing front and back.

Ok another cheat...Added a bracket at bottom of outer wing for another tack to the lower valance. Just in case

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#38 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm

Reinforcement piece for the bonnet support made out of some spare 18 gauge plate (overkill). 20 gauge would have been fine.
It was flexing with the spring pressure with the bonnet closed.
I'll drop one in on both sides while I have access

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

keithmac
Canada

#39 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by keithmac » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:08 am

Great photos , once again Ed.
I am still fettling with my headlight bulkheads, i see you have done so too. Some of my bonded bonnet supports have come loose as well. I have also found that series one headlight shells are unavailable and have had to cut and modify series 2's. despite being labeled as such , they are the same part number as the different series 2 part. I shall overcome.
Still waiting on other parts.
Keep the posts coming !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
eddiecross
Great Britain

#40 Re: Covered Headlight Conversion S1.25

Post by eddiecross » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:45 pm

Hi again Keith,
Broke out the Sika adhesive and applied to the top and side brackets that i had already bolted to the headlight panel.
Offered up and screwed in the panel
Added further adhesive either side and also used it for sealing any gaps in the perimeter of the panel.

Scoop shot shows the 2" 10/32 bolts. The extra length allowed me to wind them in and out to allow easy location in the headlight panel and get the centre bolt shimmed out enough (just a nut on the end) to get the scoop far enough forward.

Added a bracket on the left side to support the sprung bonnet stay

I'll add some final shots of the lights- looked pretty good.

67 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic