Are these original?

Talk about the E-Type Series 2

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#1 Are these original?

Post by mach2andy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 pm

Hopefully the eagle eyed amongst you may be able to tell me if these spinners are original? They came with my car which had been off the road since the mid 80's. They've been pretty well marmalised and I'm trying to decide if they are worth refurbishing.

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Are these original?

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:23 pm

Andy, I searched for a post I made about spinners:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16306&p=133879&hili ... er#p133858
There are links in there and also search for spinner with Heuer as author.

Cheers

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#3 Re: Are these original?

Post by mach2andy » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:47 pm

Hi Geoff
Thanks for that. I've just had a quick scout through and am thinking that my spinners are probably original. They are not fitted to my car. The spinners on my car I bought at Stoneleigh. They are lovely and blingy, but I think they may be rechromed repro's. I've attached a pic of one of them. The very thick undo arrow looks quite different to the thin arrow on the spinners that came with my car.

I have a bit of extraneous noise from my rear end [my car that is] which I think may be either the outboard UJ dust shields rubbing slightly, or perhaps the wheels themselves creaking. But I also read that repro spinners have been found to be responsible for for some rear end noise issues.

My rear end noise is definitely not from my diff. It's non powerlok and was fully rebuilt by Alan Slawson, nor is it UJ issues, nor is it discs fouling callipers.I spend a long time making sure the discs were centred within the callipers. There are no witness marks at the rear of my car as in tyres rubbing bumps stops, or rubbing wheel arches. In fact no witness marks at all.
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Are these original?

Post by Gfhug » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:13 pm

Andy, take off those dust shields. It is sometimes suggested on here that they are ditched. At least you’ll find out if they are the culprit. Why not refit your old spinners and check for noise? Process of elimination. Then get them rechromed. If it is the spinners you got at Stoneleigh and the originals get rid of the noise then I’ve a set of OE, tatty but useable you could borrow while yours are chromed.
How about a photo of the inside of these blingy spinners, might give ideas, especially if they’re the ones Heuer dislikes :bigrin:

Cheers

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Are these original?

Post by mach2andy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:03 am

Hi Geoff
Thanks for the offer of your spinners. Are they continental? The reason I ask is that I use one of Lionel's wheel widget adapters and don't like to do too much bashing in my garage. To start with, I'm going to move the UJ shields slightly inboard and replace the rear spinners with my beaten up originals and see if that helps at all with the noise. I did read somewhere that oiling the spokes cured someones creaky wheels so I may try that as well. WD40 I guess??
Once I have one of the blingy spinners off I can photograph the inside.

ATB
Andy
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: Are these original?

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:49 am

Hi Andy, WD40, never, use plus gas or ACF50 :wink: Yes, the continental or federal spinners as they are known.
Keep us posted of how you get on, but try taking the UJ shields completely off as they may still squeak when moved inboard.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#7 Re: Are these original?

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:26 am

Tut, tut.... Is it not the case that strictly speaking the (rare) 'Continental' spinners are essentially the regular two-eared spinners but with the ears lopped off, whereas the 'Federals' are the regular three-lobed 'earless' spinners?

Whilst you're at it, you may want also to consider a set of these of course......

https://shop.jaguar.co.uk/limited-editi ... ld-spinner :shock: :shock: :shock:

:bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#8 Re: Are these original?

Post by Gfhug » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:45 pm

Simon, I do apologise for my error. Dunce's cap on and off to the corner of the classroom :oops:

We'll leave you to put on a set of the bling spinners. After all your car wasn't concours for a long time as you had the winged spinners not the federal ones. So where's the harm in these? :lol:
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#9 Re: Are these original?

Post by Simon P » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:43 pm

Disappointingly it looks like they've sold all 10 £1,000 gold-plated spinners that they made. Still: plenty more where they come from.......

:wink:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#10 Re: Are these original?

Post by mach2andy » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:33 pm

These spinners will without doubt be the perfect accompaniment to my diamanté gear knob. I used the term continental because that's how they are described on the SNGB website. I've found the source of one of my pesky squeaks. One of the rivets holding my N/S shield together was very slightly fouling the drive shaft. When I first drove the car this afternoon I thought bugger, I've now got a rattle at the back as well.
It's the sort of rattle you get when you leave the rear hatch unlatched!!
Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#11 Re: Are these original?

Post by Simon P » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:06 am

Rumour has it that all ten gold spinners were bought by a certain Mr Jones to sit atop the various en suite bath taps as the piece de resistance at Heuer Towers......

:bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mach2andy
Great Britain

#12 Re: Are these original?

Post by mach2andy » Tue May 03, 2022 8:35 am

Having removed my rear blingy spinners, it's clear that they are repros. Apart from the thicker direction arrow, they are much heavier than the originals.

Anyway, I have removed the rear wheels and thoroughly soaked the spokes, greased the UJ's and hubs, moved the UJ shields slightly inboard & refitted the wheels with original spinners. And lo and behold, all of my extraneous rear end noise has disappeared. I'm certain that the once per revolution rubbery squeak from the N/S was coming from one of the UJ bearing cap oil seals. Hopefully, my rear end noise will not return when I refit my blingy spinners, but if it does, I'll be able to point a finger straight away.

I've also installed a wire feeding power directly from fuse 7 to my 123 distributor which has fortunately cured my [at times] very fidgety tacho.

Andy
1970 S2 FHC
1965 SB Corvette Ragtop

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#13 Re: Are these original?

Post by Gfhug » Tue May 03, 2022 8:51 am

Well done, Andy. Isn’t it nice to get rid of annoying squeaks and petty faults like your tacho not always working.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic