IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Technical advice Q&A

Gfhug
Great Britain

#21 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:23 pm

Rory, 11.14 on my recently restored by Alan Slawson diff. Nice tight fit.
Could these work if Alan doesn’t have spares?

https://www.lightaero.co.uk/products/article/N403EKPP

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#22 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by rfs1957 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi Geoff, and thanks for that.

In short, no I don't think so as the special bolts in question need a much closer shank tolerance than would generally be called for in any "bolt" specification, however trick the spec or the certification.

Both the patterns and the originals have a ground surface, problem with the patterns was that despite the care over the grinding finish, their size was off to cock.

I'm chasing SNGB to find out what size theirs actually are, nowadays, and will report back.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#23 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by rfs1957 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Update, SNGB are still selling those undersized 8910 bolts, but now have a pair of my originals (actually 11.15mm) to study and hopefully emulate.

Alain Slawson has none of the fat ones left either, Hutsons just might have.
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#24 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by Geoff Allam » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:20 pm

When I had a stripped bolt that needed replacement a machinist recommended that I get a standard bolt hard chromed to build up the shank to a tight fit. I did not give that a try as I was able to source the correct bolts from a damaged shaft but you might consider looking into that possibility if you are unsuccessful in finding correct ones new or used.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phoenix
Great Britain

#25 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by phoenix » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:53 pm

I use a quad bike lift to raise the car at the rear .you first need two blocks of wood on it to clear the exhausts .Mine I use a hammer gun on the nut for lifting and it is very stable .
S1 4.2 RHD Bryan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#26 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by rfs1957 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:32 pm

rfs1957 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:33 pm
Update, SNGB are still selling those undersized 8910 bolts, but now have a pair of my originals (actually 11.15mm) to study and hopefully emulate.

Happy to report that SNGB have indeed confirmed their 8910 bolts were NOT the correct size of the originals, BUT have undertaken to manufacture them, and are expecting delivery for the end of September.

Hallelujah.
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#27 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by abowie » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm

I've just put my 4.2's IRS back in after rebuilding it.

Here's what can go wrong :-) I don't think that this list is complete.

You can put the wishbones in upside down, backwards or on the wrong side, or combinations of these.

You can put the trailing arms on upside down, or put in the big bush upside down or sideways.

You have to put the trailing arms in before the hub carriers as otherwise you can't fit the bolt

You have to put the brakes and the brake rotors on before you put the diff in the cage.

The brake calipers and hydraulic lines can be misassembled wrong handed in a variety of interesting ways.

It's easy to put the hubs on the wrong side so the knock offs undo when you're driving, or not align the split pin hole.

There are 3 shimming jobs that have to be done correctly or the bearings shit themselves.

You can probably put the cage on backwards.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#28 Re: IRS Stands, Diff-Half shafts, Shimming, IRS rubbers, IRS brake-pipes, all things IRS.

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:43 pm

Andrew, will paste that list to my bench when reassembling my IRS shortly, and am expecting to be able to add to it despite that.

Great news from SNGB, however, they've made those 8510 bolts to the correct spec and it will no longer be necessary to use retainers on the other ones whilst working on the diff

and nor will it be such a bitch to alter the rear camber, as the new bolts will stay put and behave like studs, only requiring a socket on the nuts, when swapping shims.

SNGB listened, asked me for original samples, and then got the bolts made.

Hats off.
Rory

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic