early screen washer bottle query
#1 early screen washer bottle query
Hi all
My platers appear to have lost the small spacers that fit between the screen washer bottle bracket and bulkhead. Does anyone have a set off and could provide their length so I can make a set.
TIA
Regards
Pat
My platers appear to have lost the small spacers that fit between the screen washer bottle bracket and bulkhead. Does anyone have a set off and could provide their length so I can make a set.
TIA
Regards
Pat
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Hi Pat
My car is stripped back to bulkhead at the moment so have those spacers off the car.
Will pop down to the workshop tomorrow evening and get dimensions for you.
cheers
Ash
My car is stripped back to bulkhead at the moment so have those spacers off the car.
Will pop down to the workshop tomorrow evening and get dimensions for you.
cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607
1R 20607
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Ash
Thank you, given the weather, at least here, thats very kind.
Thanks
Thank you, given the weather, at least here, thats very kind.
Thanks
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Hi Pat
In metric they are 15mm long and 9mm o/a diameter
Regards
Jonathan
In metric they are 15mm long and 9mm o/a diameter
Regards
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#5 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Hi Pat
I see you got the dimensions from Jonathan so all good.
Just in case you need new screws they are flat headed screws 1 inch long with a thread of 10-32.
Best
Ash
I see you got the dimensions from Jonathan so all good.
Just in case you need new screws they are flat headed screws 1 inch long with a thread of 10-32.
Best
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607
1R 20607
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Bear in mind Jaguar would have used Imperial measures so it would be helpful to do the same or round up to the nearest fraction of an inch.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Hi
SNGB list them as available
Part number BD 18957/1
2cmx1cm
Robbie
SNGB list them as available
Part number BD 18957/1
2cmx1cm
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8 Re: early screen washer bottle query
All
The imperial sizes were strange, length that is...19/32” long, but a tidy 3/8” diameter
They most certainly were not the SNG length...!
Best
Jonathan
The imperial sizes were strange, length that is...19/32” long, but a tidy 3/8” diameter
They most certainly were not the SNG length...!
Best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Thanks all. This is what great forums are all about.
Regards
Pat
Regards
Pat
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Good point David.
I measured it as 5/8 in length with an external diameter of 3/8.
The screw is 10-32 thread - 1” long - 3/8AF UNF.
I measured it as 5/8 in length with an external diameter of 3/8.
The screw is 10-32 thread - 1” long - 3/8AF UNF.
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607
1R 20607
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#11 Re: early screen washer bottle query
So SNGB got the diameter pretty spot on but the length a little long?
Robbie
Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#12 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Yes definitely too long at 2cm. I am sure they do the job but longer than the originals.
I have sourced some exact-sized SS equivalents but they took some finding. RS components.
I have sourced some exact-sized SS equivalents but they took some finding. RS components.
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607
1R 20607
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#13 Re: early screen washer bottle query
At the risk of reopening this old post, I thought I could clarify the issues around the Washer Bottle bracket spacers and the three mounting screws on my Series 1 4.2 FHC and the current supply situation.
I am doing some work on the car and part of this is sorting the washer bottle strap as I have the later Lucas plastic bottle which uses a rubber webbing strap which can become slack and brittle. I was not aware of the need for the bracket to be spaced away from the bulkhead and on reading this post, I started to source the spacers, (“Distance Piece” in Jaguar speak in the Spares Part Catalogue) and securing screws. My usual supplier claimed they cannot now be supplied and trying another well known one, even when the part number is searched on their website, it has no answers.
When I put the number of BD.18957/1 for the spacers on Google and on reviewing “images”, there was the said spacer and on visiting the same aforementioned supplier it does appear on their site as a spacer on a Series 3 2+2 as part of the Heater box mechanism.
On phoning this very helpful supplier who initials are MR, they confirmed they have the spacers. I also wanted the mounting screws to mount the bracket on these longer spacers and reading the #10 post above, the figure of 3/8 AF UNF is mentioned, but that size would be far too big. I asked MR if they had the Jaguar part number of UFS.419/8H which also drew a blank with them, but looking on their website which shows what others have ordered with these spacers there appeared a screw which looked just the right dimensions as their part number 8718 which is 1 inch long and I believe it to be 2BA thread.
The items arrive today and fit perfectly, so to avoid anyone else the trawl that I went through, these part numbers work.
Now the next question is - why does the washer bottle have to be spaced away from the bulkhead ?
Regards,
Dave



I am doing some work on the car and part of this is sorting the washer bottle strap as I have the later Lucas plastic bottle which uses a rubber webbing strap which can become slack and brittle. I was not aware of the need for the bracket to be spaced away from the bulkhead and on reading this post, I started to source the spacers, (“Distance Piece” in Jaguar speak in the Spares Part Catalogue) and securing screws. My usual supplier claimed they cannot now be supplied and trying another well known one, even when the part number is searched on their website, it has no answers.
When I put the number of BD.18957/1 for the spacers on Google and on reviewing “images”, there was the said spacer and on visiting the same aforementioned supplier it does appear on their site as a spacer on a Series 3 2+2 as part of the Heater box mechanism.
On phoning this very helpful supplier who initials are MR, they confirmed they have the spacers. I also wanted the mounting screws to mount the bracket on these longer spacers and reading the #10 post above, the figure of 3/8 AF UNF is mentioned, but that size would be far too big. I asked MR if they had the Jaguar part number of UFS.419/8H which also drew a blank with them, but looking on their website which shows what others have ordered with these spacers there appeared a screw which looked just the right dimensions as their part number 8718 which is 1 inch long and I believe it to be 2BA thread.
The items arrive today and fit perfectly, so to avoid anyone else the trawl that I went through, these part numbers work.
Now the next question is - why does the washer bottle have to be spaced away from the bulkhead ?
Regards,
Dave



Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#14 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Dave
If you want to translate the nut/bolt/washer/screw codes - UFS.419/8H - you need to download the Jaguar fastenings file from the knowledge base.
The above code translates to Fine thread Set Screw, round head slotted, 3/16” 32tpi, 1” length under head.
If you want to translate the nut/bolt/washer/screw codes - UFS.419/8H - you need to download the Jaguar fastenings file from the knowledge base.
The above code translates to Fine thread Set Screw, round head slotted, 3/16” 32tpi, 1” length under head.
Richard
Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#15 Re: early screen washer bottle query
Good question. I was unaware of the spacers. My 3.8 didn't have spacers but it wasn't a very original car. I think the spacers would
probably give a bit more space to plug in the electrical connections.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7 (now sold), previously 3.8 S-type x2, 2.4 Mk 1, XJ6 S1.
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7 (now sold), previously 3.8 S-type x2, 2.4 Mk 1, XJ6 S1.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




