Pipe/cable near right-side cam cover

Talk about the E-Type Series 3

Topic author
Marcusu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:26 am
Great Britain

#1 Pipe/cable near right-side cam cover

Post by Marcusu » Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:18 pm

Hi all,
Could someone please let me what the pipe/cable with the white plastic wrapping around it and the back of the right side cam cover in the top photo does?
Reason I ask is that I’ve noticed it’s missing since I had some engine work done by a specialist on it recently and I’ve noticed it’s not there now.
It is a 1972 New Zealand spec car so I assume it’s the same as UK spec.
Many thanks,
Marcus

Image

Image
S3 FHC BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Craig Balzer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:02 am
United States of America

#2 Re: Pipe/cable near right-side cam cover

Post by Craig Balzer » Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:16 pm

That is the thermostatic valve whose main purpose is emission control.

There are early and late versions and minor differences whether your car has a manual or auto transmission.

It is shown in the upper right corner of this page from SNG Barratt's
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/us/F ... mbly/18158

As yours sits now, you have one or more vacuum leaks; the various ports are activated by engine temp and -- I think -- RPM.

I would ensure your "specialist" replaces the vacuum lines as original.

These may help
Image
/
Image
/
I replaced mine with a housing from a 1971 V12

Image
Attachments
2~1190800376.jpg
2~1190800376.jpg (155.83 KiB) Viewed 120 times
1~1190800376.jpg
1~1190800376.jpg (160.75 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Last edited by Craig Balzer on Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Balzer
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
1972 Series III OTS, 4-Speed (soon-to-be a Guy Broad 5-Speed), A/C, CWW

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Marcusu
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:26 am
Great Britain

#3 Re: Pipe/cable near right-side cam cover

Post by Marcusu » Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:48 am

Thanks for your reply Craig.
Strangely my car has been running really well in the couple of months I’ve have it back from the specialist, it’s only since yesterday I’ve noticed the rough running and unevenness under acceleration.
I’m not sure what would explain that other than the change in temperature and humidity with the change of season, or a problem elsewhere?
Cheers, Marcus
S3 FHC BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic