rear seal sizing tool
#1 rear seal sizing tool
I've got two XK engines to do, and I thought I'd make a rear seal sizing tool. I assume the diameter of the tube that sizes the seal is the same as the journal size - 2.750" but I thought I'd confirm this if possible.
1967 E Type coupe
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
1968 E Type OTS
2007 XKR
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
norman m. macleod
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:34 am
- Location: Perth, Western Australia

#2 Rear Seal Sizing Tool
Hi there,
Greetings from the Land of Oz......The correct sizing tool has 2 different diameters on it. The front section measures 2.9125" diameter, which, as a centralizing guide, is a sliding fit into the rearmost main bearing housing, without, repeat without, the bearing shells in place. The rear section, which actually sizes the seal, is 3.119" diameter. The size you quoted (2.750") is the main journal diameter, and does not relate in any way to the sizing tool.
I can send you a photograph of the correct sizing tool, with longitudinal measurements for each diameter section, if you wish. My e-mail is included in the profile below, so contact if you wish, then I can respond. I also have a number of what may be helpful comments on the seal installation, as much suburban myth, legend, and error abounds out there on this subject. Properly installed, it should not leak.......
Regards,
Norman.
Greetings from the Land of Oz......The correct sizing tool has 2 different diameters on it. The front section measures 2.9125" diameter, which, as a centralizing guide, is a sliding fit into the rearmost main bearing housing, without, repeat without, the bearing shells in place. The rear section, which actually sizes the seal, is 3.119" diameter. The size you quoted (2.750") is the main journal diameter, and does not relate in any way to the sizing tool.
I can send you a photograph of the correct sizing tool, with longitudinal measurements for each diameter section, if you wish. My e-mail is included in the profile below, so contact if you wish, then I can respond. I also have a number of what may be helpful comments on the seal installation, as much suburban myth, legend, and error abounds out there on this subject. Properly installed, it should not leak.......
Regards,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



