Ignition issues

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
HarryW

#1 Ignition issues

Post by HarryW » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm

I have just replaced points etc and would welcome views on two issues:
a) I presently have Champion spark plugs; are these best, or are NGK, or whatever :?
b) I am considering putting in Pertronix ignition (around ?80) for reliability; but 123 is another option (at around 3 times the cost admittedly :shock: )Again, any experiences/preferences with regard to this? I appreciate that these two systems are different but is 123 really worth it? Thanks in advance.

PS did anyone notice if that spam doctor b*****d who polluted the site had any V****a for sale? Just wondering..... Of course, I don't believe additives improve performance anyway 8)
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#2 Re: Ignition issues

Post by 1954Etype » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:43 pm

HarryW wrote:I have just replaced points etc and would welcome views on two issues:
a) I presently have Champion spark plugs; are these best, or are NGK, or whatever :?
b) I am considering putting in Pertronix ignition (around ?80) for reliability; but 123 is another option (at around 3 times the cost admittedly :shock: )Again, any experiences/preferences with regard to this? I appreciate that these two systems are different but is 123 really worth it? Thanks in advance.

PS did anyone notice if that spam doctor b*****d who polluted the site had any V****a for sale? Just wondering..... Of course, I don't believe additives improve performance anyway 8)
a. I have had problems wi th Champions in the past and now only use NGK.
b. Pertronix is a good, cheap upgrade (I have used it and am using it on my current car). However, a chum of mine has just fitted a distributor that has been specifically mapped to the 3.8 engine and he is stunned by the difference it has made. I *believe* the 123 can be mapped and remapped relatively easily and sounds like a really cost effective way for getting a cheap 'bang for your buck' regarding a performance enhancement.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 pm

I've always thought Champions were good in garden implements and outboard motors, but not in E-Types. I did try NGKs, but found that I had to go up one heat range to the BP5ES plug for best results, especially with the crappy fuel we're sold in California.

Back in the day, Jenks replaced his Champions with Autolites with good results. I tried this and was pleased. The old number was AG42 and I believe this was superceded by the 55.

An electronic ignition accompanied by a really hot coil is always an asset as well.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Erikantwerp
Belgium

Post by Erikantwerp » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Harry,

For what it is worth, I use the Petronix system since a couple of months and am really very pleased with it.The change from a non-electronic ignition is very real.

Do not know enough about the spark plugs, I sue champions and did not have any problems. I do not know enough though to opine or compare yet regarding this topic.
cheers
Erik

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andyp

Post by andyp » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 am

I'm a big supporter of the 123 after fitting it about a year ago. A search will throw up earlier posts but it gets my vote.

I grew up on Champion plugs but sadly I don't think the quality has be up to NGK over the last decade or so (God I'm getting on). That said I've got some Champion Iridiums in at the moment that have been every bit as good as the NGKs they replaced.

I've never had a bad NGK but I have had a couple of Champions that have cracked or started misfiring without explanation.

Andy
1966 2+2 MOD Conversion

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
HarryW

Post by HarryW » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I've been looking at spark plugs for the 4.2 and am a bit confused.
Champion appears to have 3 different plugs for the 3 basic E models (3.8 4.2 5.3). NGK identifies only 1 plug for the 3 models. Can anyone throw some light on this :?
Still on Champion, SNG specify the N5C; my Haynes manual tells me it should be the N11Y ......???
For NGK fans, is the BP5E plug the same as the BP5ES :?
Here's hoping that the bright sparks out there can help! 8)
HarryW
'66 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic