One E-Type less in the world

Talk about E-Types here

Moeregaard
United States of America

Post by Moeregaard » Tue May 12, 2015 4:13 am

rolando38 wrote:lesson (hardly) learnt : don't ever fit any Weber or non standard carbs to your E-type ?
or could this have happened also wih SUs or Staranglebergs ?
It can happen with any car. Carbs have float bowls that can leak, while injected vehicles maintain relatively high fuel pressures under the bonnet. Very little fuel is needed to create an unmanageable situation. Years ago, my parent's '61 Ford station wagon (352 c.i. V-8, wonderful car...) set itself alight in the drive, thanks to a stuck carb float. My dad was able to put things out quickly with a garden hose, and the car was saved, but I was amazed at how much fire resulted from no more than a few ounces of petrol. Had this happened in our garage....

As for electrical issues, any old car parked in my garage either has a battery cut-off switch fitted, or the ground lead disconnected from the battery.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Tue May 12, 2015 3:08 pm

Rolando : neither the SUs nor the Strombergs have accelerator pumps. The problem with DCOEs is that most people prime them for a cold start with two or three stabs at the pedal . It does not take much to over-prime them and then if there is a spit back ( very common indeed on DCOEs ) the whole lot can catch fire very easily and quickly ( ask me how I know !! )

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SteveG
Great Britain

Post by SteveG » Sun May 24, 2015 7:38 am

Really sad. It doesn't matter what car, model or variant - it's someone's pride and joy :cry:
Steve - 1966 2+2 1E50101 slow restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David Oslo
Norway

Post by David Oslo » Sun May 24, 2015 4:04 pm

Heuer wrote:Anything can be resurrected but why bother - the 2+2's are not exactly rare cars.
I tallied up the FHC production volumes (7670 3.8, 5830 S1, 1942 S1.5, 4855 S2) and the 2+2 (3616 S1, 1983 S1.5, 5326 S2, 7297 S3) and low and behold there were fewer 2+2's produced than FHC's. Tallied up the OTS too. Assuming an equal survival rate amongst the model types, year for year, that would make 2+2 rarer that the FHC and the OTS.

Numbers are:
2+2 18222
FHC 20297
OTS 33996

So how come people think that the 2+2 is a common car. It's almost the same misnomer as saying that Lucas invented darkness.

That's looking at totals for each body style through all production series, the same is partially across the model type too. Take the Series 1 as an example, the lowest volume is the 2+2 variant.

People keep having a go at the 2+2, all I can say is that after 2 decades of owning 2-seaters, I find my 4-seater infinitly more practicable. School run, extra luggage, better headroom. And to the average guy on the street it's still a through and through E-type. The body style is still a coupe.....
David
S1 2+2 '67 MOD conversion (going)
S2 OTS '70 (arriving)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
SEJohnson95
Great Britain

Post by SEJohnson95 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:07 pm

And so the final chapter in this story has been revealed. The Insurance company have paid out and the car is a total loss and has been consigned to the scrap heap :( however Simon has just secured two FHCs with his money for restoration. A 61 flat floor and a 67 S1. So he has three on his hands at the moment. The 67 is due to be shipped over from the U.S. And the flat floor is an original RHD matching numbers car from near Swindon.
Simon Johnson
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Nottingham
E-type Club magazine contributor
Chasing the dream of a S1 4.2 OTS, but plan on getting an E ASAP!
Lucky passenger in a 1962 FHC - See restoration thread

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gtjoey
United States of America

#26 Re: One E-Type less in the world

Post by gtjoey » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:17 am

Early Ferrari 308s with the carbs did the same, Most took the choke out!
You would hold the pedal , let it ignite then floor the pedal it to clear out the extra petrol.
It could happen to anyone, it just happens more to webbers.
Tough time.
Dont fret, Another tesla over heated the batteries......same result.
Its the cycle of life.
gtjoey1314

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#27 Re: One E-Type less in the world

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:20 pm

Less likely with other carbs, but now you know why factory vent pipes for SU float chambers run right to the bottom of the engine and away from the distributor. More than one genuine D-Type, and likely several replicas, have burnt to a crisp for the same reason. No choke, over-eager pushing of the accelerator pumps and suddenly you have raw fuel on tap. One spit back whilst starting or warming up (very common with non-choke Webers) and you have a potential total loss on your hands.

I have the correct airbox on my D Webers and any fuel that dribbles out will collect in the bottom and run to the low point where sits a fitting with a drain tube to sump level. I .also have a fixed extinguisher plumbed in that will point the main orifice directly at the carb area, and a portable extinguisher for good measure.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#28 Re: One E-Type less in the world

Post by Mark Gordon » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:52 pm

So, is the D Type on the road now Peter? Some photos would be welcome!
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic