Hi Guys
Does anyone know of a good resource for tracing the history of US Cars? XKE Data confirms that my car was imported from the US in 1989, and the heritage certificate tells me that it was first sold by British Leyland New York in Feb 1970, but I know nothing about the years in between. If anyone can give me a pointer as to where to start looking I'd love to find out more. Many thanks!
Tracing U.S Car History
-
colinevans
Topic author - Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:54 am
- Location: Dorset, UK

-
richard btype
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#2 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
Colin
I believe Philip Porter (Porter Press) offers just such a service but whether this includes the USA I don't know...
I believe Philip Porter (Porter Press) offers just such a service but whether this includes the USA I don't know...
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Nickleback
- Posts: 520
- Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 pm
- Location: West Sussex

#3 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
Hi Colin,
Bitish Leyland were the New York Jaguar importers into America, so all e-types passed into America by them, but only if the car was registered for warranty by the first owner would the details of the supplying dealer and first owner be logged on the JDHT records.
So if your certificate does not contain that information, then you have a tough search ahead.
DMV's are a waste of time as most of their records are destroyed after 10 years or legally they will decline to give out the information under federal law.
You can back-track via owners but a lot wont talk (fear of being sued) or do just dont know.
You can contact JCNA members in the USA and get them to help & search for you.
You can get an American search agent to do the job for you but it costs !
I ended up with the final option and got some success
Good luck with your search
Bitish Leyland were the New York Jaguar importers into America, so all e-types passed into America by them, but only if the car was registered for warranty by the first owner would the details of the supplying dealer and first owner be logged on the JDHT records.
So if your certificate does not contain that information, then you have a tough search ahead.
DMV's are a waste of time as most of their records are destroyed after 10 years or legally they will decline to give out the information under federal law.
You can back-track via owners but a lot wont talk (fear of being sued) or do just dont know.
You can contact JCNA members in the USA and get them to help & search for you.
You can get an American search agent to do the job for you but it costs !
I ended up with the final option and got some success
Good luck with your search
Last edited by Nickleback on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
colinevans
Topic author - Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:54 am
- Location: Dorset, UK

#4 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
Thanks guys, I've got the JDHT Cert but it doesn't record the first owner or original dealer, hence the reason I'm not sure where to start. I'll give Philip Porter a try.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL
Series 2 OTS, 280SL
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
richard btype
- Posts: 593
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:43 pm
- Location: Hertfordshire

#5 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
Colin
Might also be worth sending a PM to Phil Bell as I seem to recall he tried to obtain history on his US e type and may have learned something along the way...
Might also be worth sending a PM to Phil Bell as I seem to recall he tried to obtain history on his US e type and may have learned something along the way...
3.8 FHC Chassis no: 860403
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
DOM - 11th April 1962
Also
4.2 FHC Chassis no: 1E32173
DOM - 12th December 1965
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
colinevans
Topic author - Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:54 am
- Location: Dorset, UK

#6 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
Cheers, it seems I'm up against it as I don't know the identity of the last US owner/first UK owner. I actually don't have any names at all for the US history, which is always going to make it difficult I guess.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL
Series 2 OTS, 280SL
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7 Re: Tracing U.S Car History
I have acquired a 3.8 Series 1 roadster, built in 1964, exported to Hong Kong, then at some stage it made its way to New York then back to the UK in 2010 when it was auctioned. Theres a 46 year gap in its history which I'd like to try and fill. The chassis number is 850865, so close to the end of the 3.8 roadster run. I have contacted the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority in the UK to request all the import papers but there has been no reply to date. I do note from the auction listing in 2010 that it was imported with New York State papers. The auction house have been contacted but are as much use as a chocolate fireguard because they have now "updated their system" so no records exist of any transaction in 2010! Can anyone in the USA/New York area help or does anyone recognise my car, please?
1964 Series 1 Original RHD 3.8 Carmen Red Roadster. Nut and bolted.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



