CMES Bracknell
#21 Thanks for the update
Stuart,
thanks for the update.. I will consider CMES for my rebuild later in the year.
thanks for the update.. I will consider CMES for my rebuild later in the year.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#22
Are you sure you didn't just replace the wrong part first?Stuart Exelby wrote:- the alternator decided it didn't like not being used while the engine was out - so packed in. And now, new one from SNGB installed, the regulator seems to be playing a similar game.... The joys of classic ownership...
Good feedback on the engine builder though. With the heavy XK, the geograpgic location of a potential rebuilder is relevant. Corsa or Fiesta rear springs will only take so much abuse :-)
I would think that given your overall satisfaction and good report, describing a fee truthful niggles is not going to cause problems and might be a useful learning curve for all involved.
Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Stuart Exelby
Topic author - Posts: 186
- Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 am
- Location: Oxfordshire

#23
Pete
Re Alternator - there was negligible output from the alternator - and I will get it rebuilt anyhow so I have a spare!
Re CMES, I would almost certainly use them again - as you say, having someone relatively local is important sometimes. I'd just be a little wiser next time I use them!
Re Alternator - there was negligible output from the alternator - and I will get it rebuilt anyhow so I have a spare!
Re CMES, I would almost certainly use them again - as you say, having someone relatively local is important sometimes. I'd just be a little wiser next time I use them!
1967 Series 1 OTS
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#24
Hi Stuart.....replaced the brushes when the output of my alternator packed up...simple job...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#25
Sorry about the delay in replying Stuart...the engine has now been finished and is due to be delivered back to Angus anytime now...I will post a photo of it when receive one...currently not able to travel much so havent seen it in the flesh (or metal)..yetStuart Exelby wrote:David - did you get your engine back yet - I pick mine up on Monday so can start to report back on how their work has been. So far they are a couple of weeks over their estimated time - but I guess the Easter break may have accounted for some of that.
David
David
1970 S2 OTS its on the road!.....
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#26
Davids engine is indeed back and looking good. The only complaint l would have is that they repaint the cam covers but dont pick out the ribs by removing the paint as was done orighnally. Looks like we'll be getting the wet and dry out!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047
61 OTS 875047
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Stuart Exelby
Topic author - Posts: 186
- Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 am
- Location: Oxfordshire

-
cortinaman
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 pm

#28 Re: CMES Bracknell
Hi Folks
Could anyone give me any feedback on how their CMES rebuilt engines are performing after a year or so? I'm thinking of them to get my 3.8 rebuilt.
Happy to receive a PM if there are negative things to say!
thanks in advance
Richard
Could anyone give me any feedback on how their CMES rebuilt engines are performing after a year or so? I'm thinking of them to get my 3.8 rebuilt.
Happy to receive a PM if there are negative things to say!
thanks in advance
Richard
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Nickleback
- Posts: 520
- Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 pm
- Location: West Sussex

#29 Re: CMES Bracknell
Richard,
I had my S2 engine fully rebuilt by them last July after the oil pump blew and damaged the crank.
Since then, I have done just over a 1500 miles and am really pleased with the result. Quality of work is excellent and value for money is good.
This year they have just had to put up there prices by approx £700 on a full rebuild and you will find that there is a queue to get work done as they are very popular especially during the racing season. (I waited about 12 weeks)
I visited their older style workshop in Bracknell and was given a full tour and meet the passionate team. Engine rebuilds are assigned to one engineer (I meet mine) and your engine will be "owned" by one person during this entire process who has total responsibility for your engine.
I asked for and got the full internal spec of my rebuild, tolorances, part types, manufacturers etc which is really good. You will also get a DVD containing pictures of all the work done through the entire process including the strip down, remanufacturing, parts and rebuild process.
Like all rebuilds, after running in, you will need to go through a comprehensive check /tighten down of external items after 500 miles or so (cam covers, oil pipes, studs and all fittings) to check for leaks which will happen as things bed in.
Would I use them again, most certainly
I had my S2 engine fully rebuilt by them last July after the oil pump blew and damaged the crank.
Since then, I have done just over a 1500 miles and am really pleased with the result. Quality of work is excellent and value for money is good.
This year they have just had to put up there prices by approx £700 on a full rebuild and you will find that there is a queue to get work done as they are very popular especially during the racing season. (I waited about 12 weeks)
I visited their older style workshop in Bracknell and was given a full tour and meet the passionate team. Engine rebuilds are assigned to one engineer (I meet mine) and your engine will be "owned" by one person during this entire process who has total responsibility for your engine.
I asked for and got the full internal spec of my rebuild, tolorances, part types, manufacturers etc which is really good. You will also get a DVD containing pictures of all the work done through the entire process including the strip down, remanufacturing, parts and rebuild process.
Like all rebuilds, after running in, you will need to go through a comprehensive check /tighten down of external items after 500 miles or so (cam covers, oil pipes, studs and all fittings) to check for leaks which will happen as things bed in.
Would I use them again, most certainly
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
cortinaman
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 pm

#30 Re: CMES Bracknell
Thank you for the reply - they certainly sound good.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |




