Setting torsion bars

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
peters3103
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: Canberra Australia
Australia

#1 Setting torsion bars

Post by peters3103 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:50 am

Hi gents,
I’ve set my torsion bars using the setting gauge (17 13/16” hole centres) in preparation of engine install. It’s sitting very high and I can barely compress the suspension even with my 95kg weight. Is this correct?


Image

Image
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand - now sold 😕
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
18 F Pace S 30d Fuji White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new
64 MK2 3.8 MOD Old English White - Coombs Tribute

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
peters3103
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: Canberra Australia
Australia

#2 Re: Setting torsion bars

Post by peters3103 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:24 am

I was a little alarmed at the wishbone angles but looking back at a photo after I pulled the engine out it appears to be sitting about the same height so I guess it’s a good starting point before fitting the adjustable reaction plate.


Image
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand - now sold 😕
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
18 F Pace S 30d Fuji White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new
64 MK2 3.8 MOD Old English White - Coombs Tribute

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Philk
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:48 am
Great Britain

#3 Re: Setting torsion bars

Post by Philk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:50 am

I too have the Rob Beere adjustable reaction plate. A couple of other things to factor in. Even when the engine is in, there is still the weight of the bonnet, radiator (inc. coolant) and ancilliaries to take into account, all of which will weigh down the front of the car (if you want to simulate this, some 25kg bags of sand equally distributed left and right will do this). You will also need to take into account whether your tyres are full height or slightly lower profile.

I've made up the following sophisticated(!) measuring tool for the fully-loaded ride height

Image

The green line is to the factory listed ride height and the red line on either side of that is the 1/4 inch factory tolerance listed.

Image
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
peters3103
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: Canberra Australia
Australia

#4 Re: Setting torsion bars

Post by peters3103 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:58 am

Thanks Phil, yes I’ve seen your measuring stick in another post. A handy tool to have indeed and a quicker reference than mucking about with a tape measure. I’ll make one up.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete
61 E-Type FHC Opalescent Golden Sand - now sold 😕
69 XJ6 4.2 MOD Old English White - one previous owner
18 F Pace S 30d Fuji White - shopping trolley
63 MGB Roadster Aintree Green - my dads from new
64 MK2 3.8 MOD Old English White - Coombs Tribute

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Philk
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:48 am
Great Britain

#5 Re: Setting torsion bars

Post by Philk » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:27 am

Definitely better than trying to balance a tape measure or ruler. I had to get the torsion bars adjusted a year after the adjustable reaction plate went in as things continued to settle down with driving. As such, I would recommend setting your torsion bars at or slightly above the upper factor tolerance limit. Otherwise, you risk the car settling as time goes by and your front overriders being very close to the ground.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic