Electrical fault - S1 doesn't even try to start

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
PhilBell
Great Britain

#1 Electrical fault - S1 doesn't even try to start

Post by PhilBell » Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm

After my 3.8 has been laid up for 10 months while I tackled other jobs, it now has an electrical fault it didn't before.
When I inserted the electrical cutoff switch and turned it, the low fuel light came on (it only has a gallon in there). But bear in mind the key wasn't in the ignition yet. When I inserted and turned the key, the submerged fuel pump (solid state) whirred busily then stopped, presumably when up to the 2psi I set on a new inline pressure regulator from Demon Tweaks, mounted in the pipe run between fuel tank and rear bulkhead banjo. Meanwhile, it filled the fuel filter bowl in the engine bay. When I thumbed the starter button, nothing, not even the click of the starter solenoid, never mind any attempt to turn the engine. I've tried running a separate earth to the engine in case it's developed a poor earth strap contact, though with the amount of oil coating the earth strap I'd be surprised if oxidation were possible.
In case you're wondering what might have been disturbed during the other jobs mentioned earlier, they comprised removing the camshafts to reset the valve clearances, removing the carbs to replace the jet diaphragms and changing the dynamo/water pump drive belt.
Anyone recognise the symptoms?
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

caveman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Electrical fault - S1 doesn't even try to start

Post by caveman » Tue May 07, 2024 8:50 pm

Phil,
I would firstly ensure you've a fully charged battery.
Then, I would bypass the cutoff switch by bridging across it. Try to start on button again.
If it remains lifeless and no click from starter I'd suspect starter or solenoid initially. You can tap the starter solenoid whilst (getting assistant) pressing start button to see if it jolts it into life. It maybe worth checking starter wiring too incase somethings amiss.
NB. I have 2 earth straps to ensure good earthing.
Steve
1965 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
PhilBell
Great Britain

#3 Re: Electrical fault - S1 doesn't even try to start

Post by PhilBell » Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm

Update - despite my CTEK apparently going through its full charging process successfully, turns out the battery was at fault. My multimeter showed that the battery voltage dropped from 12v to 1v when I pressed the starter button, likewise when I switched the headlights to dip beam. Co-opting a battery from another car enabled cranking and starting.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#4 Re: Electrical fault - S1 doesn't even try to start

Post by Gfhug » Thu May 16, 2024 3:23 pm

Phil, as was posted in another topic, trickle chargers are good for a fairly sound battery but won’t charge up from really low. Whereas the old fashioned chargers do. If you’ve got one of those try that on your battery. I’ve certainly found the old style useful to have around.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic