What oil for my gearbox today?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Philippe-J.
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:14 pm
Location: Occitanie
France

#1 What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by Philippe-J. » Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:12 am

Hello all,

surprisingly enough, I was enable to find an updated answer to a simple question: what oil should I use for my all synchro Jaguar series 1 gearbox?
In some old posts I found references to oils that are NLA, hence my question today.
Thank you for your insights.

Philippe
Philippe-J

1967 S1(.25) OTS ... coming together
https://renov-ots-1967.over-blog.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9239
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2 Re: What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:19 am

Service manual ....4 syncro section....EP90....Steve..Ps one of many gear oil posts viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19749&p=160629&hilit=Mt90#p160629
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Philippe-J.
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:14 pm
Location: Occitanie
France

#3 Re: What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by Philippe-J. » Wed Sep 30, 2026 8:56 am

Thank you Steve, and sorry for being so inefficient at searching in the previous posts.
I'll order Redline MT90 as it is advised by Andrew.
Philippe
Philippe-J

1967 S1(.25) OTS ... coming together
https://renov-ots-1967.over-blog.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9239
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#4 Re: What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Sep 30, 2026 9:00 am

The service manual should be your go to reference....EP90.....some find MT90 better?....some find the gearbox leaks more with it....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Paul bow
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 am
Great Britain

#5 Re: What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by Paul bow » Fri Oct 02, 2026 9:29 am

MT90 is a fantastic slick oil for the gearbox, used it for years without any problems..highly recommend
4.2 Semi Lwe, steel tub (best car I’ve ever had !)
4.2 ots (sold)
3.8 (sold)
4.2 2+2 (sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Philippe-J.
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:14 pm
Location: Occitanie
France

#6 Re: What oil for my gearbox today?

Post by Philippe-J. » Sat Oct 03, 2026 10:36 am

I'll tell you my observations... when I drive the car, which is not tomorrow.
My next step is to start the engine, but I need oil in the gear box for that. Hence my question.
Thanks for your help :salute:
Philippe-J

1967 S1(.25) OTS ... coming together
https://renov-ots-1967.over-blog.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic