T5 fitting

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Paul bow
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 am
Great Britain

#1 T5 fitting

Post by Paul bow » Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:51 am

Hi guys, reading some old posts it would seem the T5 from elite is a tight fitment at the front, some have mentioned fouling in the rear gearbox x member.
I have a monocoque metal works internal subframe fitted in mine and any compromise here is going to be a problem (see pics), the steel box section runs across the entire width of the car (same at the rear bulkhead) connecting to the same box section running within the sills, making a H frame.

Has anyone recently fitted one of these, a lot of the posts are over 10 years old and it seems issues with the noisey 5th gear have now been addressed.(?)

Any advice on fitting and what may need trimming/fabricating etc would be greatfully received, just about to buy one with the 0.73 5th to go with the 3.07 diff.

Image

Image
4.2 Semi Lwe, steel tub (best car I’ve ever had !)
4.2 ots (sold)
3.8 (sold)
4.2 2+2 (sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9243
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2 Re: T5 fitting

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:55 am

Hi Paul.....do you use JagLovers forum....lots of info there on T5...it may help?.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Quattrofrank
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:17 pm
Location: Norway, Oslo
Norway

#3 Re: T5 fitting

Post by Quattrofrank » Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:54 am

Hi
I have the same hidden subframe kit in my car and I belive everything is hidden under the existing metal so that I wouldnt affect any clearance.
At least I hope so since I have it, and will be mounting a 5 speed to my car as well

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

bitsobrits
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:09 am
Location: Omaha, NE area
United States of America

#4 Re: T5 fitting

Post by bitsobrits » Wed Oct 07, 2026 5:42 pm

"just about to buy one with the 0.73 5th to go with the 3.07 diff"

I have the .73 5th with a 3.54 diff (so 2.58 overall in 5th) and it's more than adequate for relaxed cruising, but on the edge of marginal for high gradients without downshifting, and with an unnaturally large gap from 5th down to 4th. I would think the .80 option would be the ideal choice for a 3.07 diff (2.46 overall), and would also provide a nice close ratio aspect to the gear changes.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Paul bow
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 am
Great Britain

#5 Re: T5 fitting

Post by Paul bow » Wed Oct 07, 2026 8:21 pm

Thank you guys much appreciated..
Bitsobrits..that’s very helpful with the ratios I wasn’t sure whether the 0.8 or the 0.73 would be best suited to the 3.07 diff, so getting that feedback is very useful, no good selecting fifth and it feeling like it’s dropped off a cliff …many thanks👍
4.2 Semi Lwe, steel tub (best car I’ve ever had !)
4.2 ots (sold)
3.8 (sold)
4.2 2+2 (sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Simonpfhc
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:38 pm
Location: Surrey
Great Britain

#6 Re: T5 fitting

Post by Simonpfhc » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:42 am

Hi Paul,

I have a T5 in mine. Superb gearbox and 5th gear is quiet. I didn’t make any modifications to any metal on the car itself, all I did was to relieve certain areas on the gearbox. I have pictures that I can send to you if you would like. From what I know of the MM subframe, it merely sits within the factory crossmember. So as Quattrofrank said, shouldn’t have any impact.

With respect to the 5th gear ratio, I used an equation that I got from someone who knew Etypes pretty well (can’t quite remember who now!)

“I have found that the 3.8 and 4.2 Jag engines like a combined OD and final drive to work out around 2.5.
example: 3.54 x .73OD = 2.5842
3.07 x .83OD = 2.5481
4.09 x .63OD = 2.5767 ( used in XK 150 type kits)”

I have a 3.31 final drive (ex US) so went with a 0.8 5th ratio.

So my 3.31 x 0.8 = 2.648, is near perfect!
3.31 x 0.63 = 2.085 way too high!

Hope this helps.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9243
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#7 Re: T5 fitting

Post by mgcjag » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:56 am

Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Paul bow
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:00 am
Great Britain

#8 Re: T5 fitting

Post by Paul bow » Fri Oct 09, 2026 6:16 am

Thank you steve ..
Simon any pics would be a great help, pictures often speak a thousand words!
Many thanks 👍
4.2 Semi Lwe, steel tub (best car I’ve ever had !)
4.2 ots (sold)
3.8 (sold)
4.2 2+2 (sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic