Bonnet pick up!

Talk about the E-Type Series 2
User avatar

Topic author
Francis
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Marly, Switzerland

#1 Bonnet pick up!

Post by Francis » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:11 pm

I just picked this bonnet for $1000.- on e-bay sight unseen.

The bumper and side markers are not included but the lights and chrome are.

I would like some opinions on the severity of the damage to be fixed on the end lip of it.

The car it cames from was in a cabin fire and some stupid fireman saw fit to pry the bonnet open...

Apparently the car had just gone thru a full rotisserie resto. The paint gleems but from the pictures, my panel beater says it's going to be a lot of work to flatten bach the damaged areas.

Any opinions out there?

I will only pick it up around March 10th as I will be traveling to Europe next week and have planned a trip (by car) to New York at that time. The bonnet is in the New Jersey suburbs of NYC.

Take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... K:MEWAX:IT


Francis


PS take a look at what Santa dropped off this morning: :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/Francis200 ... kcvc1ZS0QQ#

.
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


ahrbruz
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:43 am
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Canada

#2 Bonnet

Post by ahrbruz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 am

Francis:

As the E-Type was almost hand-made, it is likely that a replacement bonnet will require a considerable amount of 'fettling' to make it fit. In all probability, it will either be too short, or too long. Result: add metal or cut back. The curve of the wings will also have to be adjusted to fit your car, as will the gaps. This should be done before the bonnet is painted.

Another area of concern will be the bumpers. Your originals may not fit the replacement bonnet. Again, fettling required to get the curvature of the bumpers right.

As to the new wheels; I believe they are "triple-laced", a rarity when fitted to Series II E-Types. Are these Borrani? I don't know what you intend to do with the completed car, but if you plan to show it under JCNA sanctioned concour events, you will lose points for those wheels.

Wishing you continued success on your project. By the way, your car is just over some two hundred on the assembly line from mine.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
Francis
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Marly, Switzerland

#3

Post by Francis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:27 am

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of the fitting issues, I just hope it's not too short. Too long is an easier fix. Curvature was to be ajusted to my crumbled fenders anyways. As for the bumper fit, I will have to do a test assembly before paint... just a bit more work... That I will gladly do.

JCNA....jcna... In the category of: look guys my car is exactly the way it came out of the factory, I will pass.

My project is an ?ber restoration. IE everything from the way it came out of the factory, with improvements. I install an aluminium rad, with more efficient fans. I replace the old A/C unit with a more efficient freon free replacement unit. I upgrade the front brakes to 4 pots Wilwood calipers, I install a 123 electronic ajustable distributor, 6 new gas ajustable shocks, I also upgrade the tranny to a 5 speed Tremec one. The one thing I will not do is the power steering upgrade. I am doing a full engine rebuild to factory specs but I am replacing the Strombergs by a more potent SU tri-carb set up.

My car came out Sable, I am doing a Opalescent Dark Green with Mohair roof.

In the US, for Camaros and Cudas of that era, they call this a resto-mod restoration.

As far as the wire wheels are conserned, they are Dunlop 5 1/2 by 15 so 1/2 inch wider than the originals. That is why it may look a bit diffrent. Dunlop was the supplier of wire wheels to Jaguar, no? I am doing winged spinners, in 69 they had the triangular one.

Since my car did not come with wire wheels, I would get the deduction anyways! Would you go for red line tires or just plain flat black flank tires? I would like to install 195 70v 15 but I am having a hard time finding that size. What would you recomend?


PS

I was told that here in America they now have a category for the type of restoration I am doing, but I have yet to confirm that. As far as entering my car in a JCNA sanctionned concours... I would love to win, but for that, you need to participate and I don't have the patieance for those types of events.

I did a $100 000.- restoration on a Aston Martin Lagonda 1883 ( that has a resale value under $50 000.-) that had only 17 000 kms on the clock, took the car to Europe for the purpose of showing it and the Lagonda best restoration trophy went to the budy of the other guy who refered another to the garage with the judge in the concours... (or however the fix went down) with a car which was a total resto-mod car... So my faitfull bolt and nut, as out of the factory, restoration was not even considered...Politics, politics... or nepetisem I don't know. All I know is that I was terribly saddened by this result and vowed never to put myself in that situation again.

I am building a Jag as close as possible to how it came out of the factory with attention to every detail down to using the original bolts that I had re-zinced. I go over board trying to restore parts instead of replacing them, even if sometimes it's more expensive, but the end result will be a great looking car with safety upgrades as well as environment upgrades and most important power and stability improvements.

If this is not to the liking of the JCNA because there is not such a category, so be it. I will enjoy my car just the same!

One other thing, if I had purchased a 61 to 67 car, I would not be holding this point of view as these first cars should be preserved as originals. A 69 car is a powered down, heavied-up, safetied-up diluted looks version of those cars. The car then is, in my view a candidate for an upgrade resto mod project.

How do you see the series 2 cars in that respect?

Francis
Last edited by Francis on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#4

Post by Heuer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:34 am

This article might help with the bonnet:

Bonnet Fitting Guide: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/bonnet.pdf
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
Francis
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Marly, Switzerland

#5

Post by Francis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:49 pm

After going to Europe last week, I came back home (Montreal) and scheduled some appointments in New York this week and went in the suburbs in New Jersey to pick this bonnet up.

Got it on the roof of my X-Type wagon (now the mule in the household...) and drove back with it 350 miles. No issues, just a blizzard for the last 60 miles.

Over the week end I got the car outdoors and ground down the paint on the fenders and valance. X-type was used as a work bench...To my surprise they are perfect! no rust, no major bodywork done to them and generaly strait! The center panel will be done, if it can be saved. The front end did have some minor work done to it, but if the back can be fixed and if I can get a descent fit to the body with it, it will have been a worth while pick-up at $1 000.-!

Tomorrow, I will take it to my body shop and try it on as well as find out it the back of the center panel in salvagable...

Take a look:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Francis200 ... 7ikuZzMvwE#

Francis
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
Francis
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Marly, Switzerland

#6

Post by Francis » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 pm

So today I took the new (somewhat used) bonnet for a test fit on my car at the bodyshop.

The first impression is that the fit is quite adequate. the right side fender fit is off by 15 mms but a spacer on the front hinge of 20mm can be taken off and the ajustment will be quite close. The left side is a bit low on the top and qiite off on the fender fit. Some ajustment will be required there. the major issue is the dammage on the end. It is fixable however. the metal beater kind of looked at it with resignation... Take a look:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Francis200 ... 8YjG1LeHWg#

Francis
69 OTS S2 1R8482 named Fiona

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic